client maintianing a connection to the server

Jake

Hi All

I am trying to develope an asp intranet page that
displays data from a database, when the data in the
database changes I would like all of the people currently
viewing the ASP page to have the records on their screen
updated.

I dont want the whole page to refresh, as this would
frustrate users. I want just a specific area on the page
to update.

How would I acheive this automatic date update to the
client, I was thinking of an ActiveX control. I thought
the server may be able to maintin a connection to each
instance of the active x control to allow the new data to
be sent automaticaly?

Thanks in advance

Jake

Eliyahu Goldin

Jake,

The server can't maintain connections. The can maintain sessions, but it is
not what you are after. The refresh must be originated by client. The
simplest way of doing this is putting the following line in the html header:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT=n>
The page will be updated every n seconds.

If you want only specific area on the page to refresh, you should put into a
frame.

Eliyahu

Guest

Thanks Eliyahu

idealy I would ot like to do that, as the user would hear
a click every timethe page refreshes.

I how hoping there may be a way with activeX that will
allow a connection to be maintained?

Jake

Eliyahu Goldin

Jake,

Look what I found on the click disabling:

Thanks - this works a treat!

Mosley Jones III said:
yep

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=javascript>
<!--

setTimeout("document.location.reload()",5000)

//-->
</SCRIPT>

-------------------------------------------------Eliyahu<anonymous@discussi
ons.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Trevor Benedict R

Check out REMOTE SCRIPTING. This will enable you to call a method in an
"ASP" page. But should satisfy your need. You can refresh this value
periodically using the Javascript Timeout code explained in the other
post.

The code on the Server can be executed synchronously or asynchronously,
but it is a bit clumpsy to debug. Other than that I do not find any
issues with this. Pretty smart. The next version of .NET is coming up
with something similar to this concept.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
MCSD