Client-side validation died?

darrel

Our intranet server died a few months ago and we migrated everything over to
a new one.

When we did that, any app (asp.net 1.1) of ours that depended on client-side
navigation just broke.

What happens is that in IE, any button that causes a post-back but also
triggers client-side validation doesn't do anything. It doesn't validate,
nor causes a postback. Nor does it give me a JS error.

Turning off javascript (or using firefox) triggers the postback just fine
and does the validation client-side.

My initial thought was that perhaps, for some reason, the .js file used for
validation was missing. However, it's there:

/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js

So, that blew my theory out of the water.

Any idea what might be going on?

It's not the app itself, as I can run it just fine via localhost. It's only
when it's on this one particular server.

One solution is to just go into each app and turn off all client-side
validation on each control...but this one particular app we're using is 3rd
party and we don't have editable source code at this time.

-Darrel

Groove

Darrel -

Having you looked at the client's page source? When you View Source, is the
js code there in the markup like it should be? I'm betting it's not....

D. Shane Fowlkes

darrel

Having you looked at the client's page source? When you View Source, is
the js code there in the markup like it should be? I'm betting it's
not....

It is there. That's what's making this all so odd.

-Darrel

sloan

I would try wiring up a most basic CustomValidator (and a corresponding
custom javascript function)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms991359.aspx

<asp:CustomValidator id="CustomValidator1" runat="server"
Display="None" ErrorMessage="CustomValidator"
ClientValidationFunction="checkDate" ></asp:CustomValidator>

This says "run the Custom Javascript function I specify"

and just have a simple javascript that has an alert("") in it, and a return
true or return false.

See if the wiring works in this most basic example.

darrel

This says "run the Custom Javascript function I specify"
and just have a simple javascript that has an alert("") in it, and a
return
true or return false.

See if the wiring works in this most basic example.

Thanks Sloan...I'll do this and post a follow-up question.

-Darrel