CMS Design

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by JJ, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Hi,
    I want to write a shop content management system in ASP.
    However the database holding the products for sale will be on a different pc
    to the webserver.
    I do not want the remote webserver pc to authenticate against the sql
    server.

    Ideally the cms should produce static html pages which could be indexed by a
    search engine.

    Does anyone have any suggestions?

    So far, the most likely solution will be for the web pages to include
    javascript includes which will reference an asp page on the same machine
    which houses the sql server, this will then insert the values into the web
    page at run time.

    Alternatively I could make it so that the sql server PC creates the entire
    website, then automatically ftps' it to the remote website - however the
    problem here would be that the ftp would probably go wrong a lot and
    generate loads of support calls.

    Any Suggestions Welcome!

    Thanks
    JJ
    JJ, Jan 25, 2005

  2. JJ

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:16:27 -0000, "JJ" <nospam> wrote:

    >I want to write a shop content management system in ASP.
    >However the database holding the products for sale will be on a different pc
    >to the webserver.
    >I do not want the remote webserver pc to authenticate against the sql
    >server.
    >
    >Ideally the cms should produce static html pages which could be indexed by a
    >search engine.
    >
    >Does anyone have any suggestions?

    How does "dumb idea" sound? Seriously, why have a database for a
    content management system that doesn't manage the content? Just
    create the static pages and index them and you're done.

    >So far, the most likely solution will be for the web pages to include
    >javascript includes which will reference an asp page on the same machine
    >which houses the sql server, this will then insert the values into the web
    >page at run time.

    That's not wht you suggested as your ideal. ASP isn't static and
    getting values from a database at run time isn't either.

    >Alternatively I could make it so that the sql server PC creates the entire
    >website, then automatically ftps' it to the remote website - however the
    >problem here would be that the ftp would probably go wrong a lot and
    >generate loads of support calls.

    FTP failure would be the least of your problems, and shouldn't
    generate any more problems than anything else. Your content would be
    stale and not updated, or you'd spend all the processor time
    re-rendering pages.

    Use the database as intended and cretae the pages on the fly from
    content in the database as needed.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Jan 26, 2005

  3. JJ

    JJ Guest

    I think you're probably right :)

    JJ

    JJ, Jan 26, 2005
  4. JJ

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:36:12 -0000, "JJ" <nospam> wrote:

    >I think you're probably right :)

    One way to handle this is to look at other CMS systems and see what
    they do. Adapt what you need and change what doesn't fit for you.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 26, 2005