ASP.NET, a CMS, and application recycling

Matty J

Hi all

I've got a problem and I'm amazed to find nothing about on the web at
all from what I can find in group posts or troubleshooting articles
etc.

ASP.NET has the numRecompilesBeforeAppRestart setting.

A CMS for a large site often publishes pages.

Based on the numRecompilesBeforeAppRestart setting, the application
will be restarted/recycled every 15 pages that are published, which
will be very often.

Therefore the server has to reload/recompile every time 15 pages are
published. This appears to causes quite a slow initial response from
the server (IIS5) given it's quite high traffic (50k per day) and
seems far from ideal that it needs to recompile so often.

However, if numRecompilesBeforeAppRestart is set higher, this will use
up more memory, and either when the ASP.NET memory threshold is
reached the app will recycle itself, or alterntiavely we would need to
manually restart it, which is far from idea.

The CMS published pages need to reference some global pages (so can't
be just .HTML).

I've read this might mean a problem with the application design, but
how can this be changed to improve this seemingly inherent design
flaw?

Thanks for any response.
Cheers
Matt