    Thanks,
    Shaleen

    , May 21, 2006

  2. Tasos Vogiatzoglou, May 21, 2006

  3. Darren Kopp Guest

    Check out url rewriting. As long as it has an ASPX extension, you
    should be able to handle the 404 and such through asp.net, before IIS.

    HTH,
    Darren Kopp

    Darren Kopp, May 21, 2006
  4. Rob Meade Guest

    "Darren Kopp" wrote ...

    > Check out url rewriting. As long as it has an ASPX extension, you
    > should be able to handle the 404 and such through asp.net, before IIS.

    Forgive me if I'm wrong - but doesn't the request hit IIS before .net?
    Therefore, wouldn't having a custom 404 (or other error messages) be handled
    more efficiently by letting IIS manage them (even if you change the custom
    error pages to your own code etc)?

    Again, if I'm wrong please ignore me :eek:)

    Rob

    Rob Meade, May 21, 2006
  5. Darren Kopp Guest

    IIS will pass the request to the asp.net engine if the extension of the
    page you are requesting is set to do so (aspx is set to be passed to
    asp.net by default). this way the .NET framework can handle 404, 500,
    etc type errors (you can define these through the web.config). for
    this reason you can have pages that don't exist seem to return data
    (like mapping shoes.aspx to products.aspx?id=5).

    that i believe is what he is looking for, as he mentions "as the pages
    do not exist", thereby being dynamic, meaning an HTTP Handler through
    asp.net, though you are correct that you could handle this through IIS,
    as what would happen automatically, but doing so through asp.net will
    allow you to use the application_error event and so forth.

    hopefully that makes sense :S

    HTH,
    Darren Kopp

    Darren Kopp, May 22, 2006