    browser pages. I don't know how to do this...please help.

    TIA,
    Bill Burke

    Bill Burke, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Bill Burke

    rf Guest

    Bill Burke wrote:

    > I would like my "pop-up" browser pages to not have a menu, button bar and
    > address bar. I'd also like to be able to define the size of the "pop-up"
    > browser pages.

    Does your *viewer* want these things to happen?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Aug 29, 2005

  3. __/ On Monday 29 August 2005 03:11, [rf] wrote : \__

    > Bill Burke wrote:
    >
    >> I would like my "pop-up" browser pages to not have a menu, button bar and
    >> address bar. I'd also like to be able to define the size of the "pop-up"
    >> browser pages.

    > Does your *viewer* want these things to happen?

    Probably not, which is the reason the OP wants to resize (i.e. make smaller)
    the window and strip off some widgets that hog computer resources. If you
    must know, some browsers or users will not see pop-up windows, will not
    have them resized or will discard your site altogether. Zooming on pictures
    (full size on demand) is the only case where I open a new window and I have
    mixed feeling about it. One of the recent evils of pop-ups is phishing.

    If you have not been discouraged yet, have a look at what Neilsen says,
    quote gently, about pop-ups:

    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html

    <snip>

    pop-up purges mean that users close pop-up windoids before they have even
    fully rendered; sometimes with great viciousness (a sort of
    getting-back-at-GeoCities triumph). I don't want to ban pop-ups completely
    since they can sometimes be a productive part of an interface, but I advise
    making sure that there is an alternative way of using the site for users
    who never see the pop-

    </snip>

    To refer to your question more directly, different browsers have different
    structures, menus (some may have none) etc. so any solution you will find
    will be a hack and will lock your site to one particlar browser or a mere
    subset. Where is Jukka Korpela when we need him?

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 29, 2005
  4. Bill Burke

    Bill Burke Guest

    Okay,

    It's my own personal web site and I guess that pop-ups is the wrong term. There
    are a few instances where I want another browser to open to display some
    genealogy "reports." Nothing sinister...

    TIA,
    Bill Burke

    In article <detsu5$2i9a$>, Roy Schestowitz says...

    Bill Burke, Aug 29, 2005
  5. On Mon, 28 Aug 2005, Bill Burke wrote:

    > I would like my "pop-up" browser pages to not have a menu, button bar and
    > address bar. I'd also like to be able to define the size of the "pop-up"
    > browser pages.

    Stop wanting that, and the web will thank you.

    > I don't know how to do this...

    You certainly don't know how to "do this" for a proportion of web users,
    whose browsers either won't do that at all, or have been configured to
    prevent it. If you're lucky, the attempt will fail and your content will
    be displayed normally. If you're less lucky, your content won't be
    displayed at all.

    > please help.

    Treat the browser as the user's property - which is the way things are
    anyway - and we'll all be more comfortable. Users tend to associate
    pop-up windows with unwanted behaviour by web sites - not only
    advertising, but also malware. You surely don't want users to think that
    of you?

    Alan J. Flavell, Aug 29, 2005
  6. Bill Burke

    jake Guest

    In message <>, Bill Burke
    <> writes
    >Hello,
    >
    >I would like my "pop-up" browser pages to not have a menu, button bar and
    >address bar. I'd also like to be able to define the size of the "pop-up"
    >browser pages. I don't know how to do this...please help.
    >
    >TIA,
    >Bill Burke

    You should be very careful not to use the words 'pop-up' in this NG, as
    this tends to produce a reaction from some of its less-enlightened
    inhabitants. 'Opening a new browser window' might be better as 'pop-ups'
    are frequently associated with unwanted advertising.

    There is 'tons' of examples if you 'Google' for them.

    Try this first:
    http://www.echoecho.com/toolpopupgenerator.htm

    Bear in mind that you need to ensure that the 1% or so of your viewers
    that have Javascript disabled can still get to see the page.

    Come back if you are still having problems.

    regards.

    --
    Jake
    ( .... just a spam trap.)