Code for no menu in browser

Bill Burke

Hello,

I would like my "pop-up" browser pages to not have a menu, button bar and
address bar. I'd also like to be able to define the size of the "pop-up"
browser pages. I don't know how to do this...please help.

TIA,
Bill Burke
(e-mail address removed)

rf

Bill said:
I would like my "pop-up" browser pages to not have a menu, button bar and
address bar. I'd also like to be able to define the size of the "pop-up"
browser pages.

Does your *viewer* want these things to happen?

Cheers
Richard.

Roy Schestowitz

__/ On Monday 29 August 2005 03:11, [rf] wrote : \__
Does your *viewer* want these things to happen?

Probably not, which is the reason the OP wants to resize (i.e. make smaller)
the window and strip off some widgets that hog computer resources. If you
must know, some browsers or users will not see pop-up windows, will not
have them resized or will discard your site altogether. Zooming on pictures
(full size on demand) is the only case where I open a new window and I have
mixed feeling about it. One of the recent evils of pop-ups is phishing.

If you have not been discouraged yet, have a look at what Neilsen says,
quote gently, about pop-ups:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html

<snip>

pop-up purges mean that users close pop-up windoids before they have even
fully rendered; sometimes with great viciousness (a sort of
getting-back-at-GeoCities triumph). I don't want to ban pop-ups completely
since they can sometimes be a productive part of an interface, but I advise
making sure that there is an alternative way of using the site for users
who never see the pop-

</snip>

To refer to your question more directly, different browsers have different
structures, menus (some may have none) etc. so any solution you will find
will be a hack and will lock your site to one particlar browser or a mere
subset. Where is Jukka Korpela when we need him?

Roy

Bill Burke

Okay,

It's my own personal web site and I guess that pop-ups is the wrong term. There
are a few instances where I want another browser to open to display some
genealogy "reports." Nothing sinister...

TIA,
Bill Burke

[...]

Alan J. Flavell

I would like my "pop-up" browser pages to not have a menu, button bar and
address bar. I'd also like to be able to define the size of the "pop-up"
browser pages.

Stop wanting that, and the web will thank you.
I don't know how to do this...

You certainly don't know how to "do this" for a proportion of web users,
whose browsers either won't do that at all, or have been configured to
prevent it. If you're lucky, the attempt will fail and your content will
be displayed normally. If you're less lucky, your content won't be
displayed at all.
please help.

Treat the browser as the user's property - which is the way things are
anyway - and we'll all be more comfortable. Users tend to associate
pop-up windows with unwanted behaviour by web sites - not only
advertising, but also malware. You surely don't want users to think that
of you?

jake

Bill Burke said:
Hello,

I would like my "pop-up" browser pages to not have a menu, button bar and
address bar. I'd also like to be able to define the size of the "pop-up"
browser pages. I don't know how to do this...please help.

TIA,
Bill Burke
(e-mail address removed)

You should be very careful not to use the words 'pop-up' in this NG, as
this tends to produce a reaction from some of its less-enlightened
inhabitants. 'Opening a new browser window' might be better as 'pop-ups'
are frequently associated with unwanted advertising.

There is 'tons' of examples if you 'Google' for them.

Try this first:
http://www.echoecho.com/toolpopupgenerator.htm

Bear in mind that you need to ensure that the 1% or so of your viewers
that have Javascript disabled can still get to see the page.

Come back if you are still having problems.

regards.