colour website

dorayme

...but, yay! I think I'll go install it right away... And, done!

Nice. I like it. :)

That other link posted was javascript so all I saw was a black window
with a little bordered 16m in the lower right corner.[/QUOTE]

Come on Stan, soften a bit and turn on javascript... Surely these
days it must give you pain on so many sites, they are not likely
to be thoughtfully un-dependent on it, only a few website makers
come to this church here...

Ed Mullen

dorayme said:
Yes, I realised this when Spartanicus (God), said about the frame
and posted about it. The point I am making Ed, is this. You are
awake and sleeping at all the wrong hours. It is very
inconvenient to me that you lot are asleep when I sometimes want
to chat.

Yeah, I know. It's this pesky Internet thingie. Feels like we're all
together but it turns out the world actually is kinda large! ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Define "work"

In this case, popup a js alert with the decimal and hex values of the
colors. But I see this has been covered in another part of the
thread.

Stan McCann

Nice. I like it. :)

That other link posted was javascript so all I saw was a black
window with a little bordered 16m in the lower right corner.

Come on Stan, soften a bit and turn on javascript... Surely these
days it must give you pain on so many sites, they are not likely [/QUOTE]

Not really; I don't mind using my back button. In most cases, I don't
even know what I'm missing (wait a minute, yes I do. viruses and
spyware)
to be thoughtfully un-dependent on it, only a few website makers
come to this church here...

True, but I don't mind letting a business know that they have lost
this customer because of thier site that demands that I let my
defenses down. I don't browse with scripting enabled and I rarely get
viruses or spyware.

I'm not opposed to enabling scripting when I need to like when grading
javascript assignments (which I no longer need to do [see sig]).

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Stan McCann
I don't browse with scripting enabled and I rarely get
viruses or spyware.

I browse with scripting enabled and I rarely get viruses or spyware. I
just don't use IE. :)

dorayme

Stan McCann said:
Come on Stan, soften a bit and turn on javascript... Surely these
days it must give you pain on so many sites, they are not likely

Not really; I don't mind using my back button. In most cases, I don't
even know what I'm missing (wait a minute, yes I do. viruses and
spyware)
to be thoughtfully un-dependent on it, only a few website makers
come to this church here...

True, but I don't mind letting a business know that they have lost
this customer because of thier site that demands that I let my
defenses down. I don't browse with scripting enabled and I rarely get
viruses or spyware.

I'm not opposed to enabling scripting when I need to like when grading
javascript assignments (which I no longer need to do [see sig]).

Mate... time to get a Mac!

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Mark Parnell
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Stan McCann

I browse with scripting enabled and I rarely get viruses or spyware. I
just don't use IE. :)

I also browse with scripting enabled, and I haven't had any problems
since 2003 when something nasty got to my hosts file.

I think these are what make me safe:
1. AVG Free and run it every night.
2. Spybot Search and Destroy and run it every Saturday.
3. StartUp Monitor (great little program keeps programs like Adobe from
running at startup) <http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml>
4. Hosts file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm, you get a
lot of 404 adverts (but I love that because I changed my 404 to read
"Doh! The web site cannot be found!")
5. Spyware Guard <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html>,
silently blocks your browser from certain sites - works for IE and FF.
6. I use Opera almost exclusively.

William Tasso

Fleeing from the madness of the arbpen.com jungle
Adrienne Boswell <[email protected]> stumbled into
and said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Mark Parnell

I also browse with scripting enabled, and I haven't had any problems
since 2003 when something nasty got to my hosts file.

Personally, I simply don't let client-side script run in IE and only allow
a limited subset in Opera & FireFox.
I think these are what make me safe:
1. AVG Free and run it every night.
2. Spybot Search and Destroy and run it every Saturday.
3. StartUp Monitor (great little program keeps programs like Adobe from
running at startup) <http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml>
4. Hosts file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm, you get a
lot of 404 adverts (but I love that because I changed my 404 to read
"Doh! The web site cannot be found!")
5. Spyware Guard <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html>,
silently blocks your browser from certain sites - works for IE and FF.
6. I use Opera almost exclusively.

Interesting - how many workstations do you run that lot on?

I've looked at the hosts file replacement before - can't be bothered with
deploying to all machines. When I get a supply of curcular tuits I'll
build a routine to gen local zone files from that hosts list.

Rick Brandt

Stan said:
Come on Stan, soften a bit and turn on javascript... Surely these
days it must give you pain on so many sites, they are not likely

Not really; I don't mind using my back button. In most cases, I don't
even know what I'm missing (wait a minute, yes I do. viruses and
spyware) [snip]

Can someone explain just how having javascript enabled could deliver a virus or
spyware? I understand that ActiveX in IE is more dangerous, but isn't
javascript's ability to be "malicious" limited to doing annoying things to your
browser windows?

sir robert blake

True, but I don't mind letting a business know that they have lost
this customer because of thier site that demands that I let my
defenses down. I don't browse with scripting enabled and I rarely get
viruses or spyware.

I'm not opposed to enabling scripting when I need to like when grading
javascript assignments (which I no longer need to do [see sig]).

Mate... time to get a Mac!

with fries.

Queue moves far quicker via the drive-by

William Tasso

Fleeing from the madness of the No thank you jungle
Charles Sweeney <[email protected]> stumbled into
and said:
dorayme wrote
Then pass it to the Inland Revenue.

Talking of the (spit) Inland (spit) Revenue ... there's serious debate (in
th UK) about parking 'fines' being in reality a revenue stream - a regular
'hot topic' to use the modern idiom.

I'm sure we all put them down as expenses on our returns only for the
accountant to credit them out because fines cannot be tax deductable -
however were it to be successfully argued that these costs are a useful
revenue stream (for the recipient) then we have grounds to insist they are
seen as such on our tax returns.

Note: I hate the f*cking idiotic games one has to play when dealing with
these clowns.

Charles Sweeney

William Tasso wrote
Fleeing from the madness of the No thank you jungle
Charles Sweeney <[email protected]> stumbled into
and said:
dorayme wrote

Talking of the (spit) Inland (spit) Revenue ... there's serious debate
(in th UK) about parking 'fines' being in reality a revenue stream -
a regular 'hot topic' to use the modern idiom.

I'm sure we all put them down as expenses on our returns only for the
accountant to credit them out because fines cannot be tax deductable -
however were it to be successfully argued that these costs are a
useful revenue stream (for the recipient) then we have grounds to
insist they are seen as such on our tax returns.

Interesting. Not meaning to be a goody-two-shoes, and not living in a
City...I don't get parking fines!

The inland revenue would probably say that if it's a necessary expense
required to conduct your business, then it's an allowable expense. I
suppose you could make an argunebt that it is,
Note: I hate the f*cking idiotic games one has to play when dealing
with these clowns.

Yep.

William Tasso

Fleeing from the madness of the No thank you jungle
Charles Sweeney <[email protected]> stumbled into
and said:
William Tasso wrote

Interesting. Not meaning to be a goody-two-shoes, and not living in a
City

Glasgow isn't a city?
...I don't get parking fines!

Parking is probably my second largest expense on cabling jobs (without the
fines) - certainly in the top 5.

There are tradesmen (painters, electricians etc.) that live near me that
won't consider work in 'London'. I take a more pragmatic view and simply
add £100 per estimated day - seems to cover travel and parking ok.
The inland revenue would probably say that if it's a necessary expense
required to conduct your business, then it's an allowable expense. I
suppose you could make an argunebt that it is,

Fines (whatever that actually means) are specifically excluded by
legislation. The question is are they really 'fines' or simply another
stealth tax. One for the barristers.

Charles Sweeney

William Tasso wrote
Fleeing from the madness of the No thank you jungle
Charles Sweeney <[email protected]> stumbled into
and said:

Glasgow isn't a city?

I'm about ten miles from the city centre, in a town. I've always seen
Glasgow as a different place.
Parking is probably my second largest expense on cabling jobs (without
the fines) - certainly in the top 5.

I would certainly claim parking as an expense. Parking charges, as
opposed to fines.
Fines (whatever that actually means) are specifically excluded by
legislation. The question is are they really 'fines' or simply
another stealth tax. One for the barristers.

Yep.

Adrienne Boswell

Interesting - how many workstations do you run that lot on?

Just me, and any other person who is willing to let me install the stuff.
I have a little USB drive that I carry around with me with all the files
on it.
I've looked at the hosts file replacement before - can't be bothered
with deploying to all machines. When I get a supply of curcular
tuits I'll build a routine to gen local zone files from that hosts
list.

The hosts file replacement isn't for everybody. There are a few sites
that I can't go to, for example, a lot of the top sponsored links in
Google, but I can select the link, copy and paste it into my browser, if
I want to go to the trouble (rarely do).

The best part is seeing all those ads replaced with my 404 page. I love
that!