COM Makepy Question

gregarican

Using Pythonwin's COM Makepy utility I created a COM wrapper around an
OCX file that's used to communicate with a magstripe card reader. The
wrapper was created without incident and I can invoke any "get" type of
method without a problem. But whenever I attempt to invoke any of the
"set" type of methods I receive an error message that states:

(-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, 'ctlUSBHID', 'Client
Site not available', None, 1000398, -2146827890), None)

Googling around I see that this error message indicates an ActiveX
control that's being referenced without residing within a container.
Not sure if this is something that I can fix myself within the Makepy
COM wrapper or if I have to rely on the vendor shipping an updated OCX
file. I did see a Python discussion thread where someone else ran into
a similar problem and had to wait for the vendor to ship a revised OCX
file.

Dolphin Smalltalk has a similar COM wrapper utility and the same exact
error occurs. The OCX file is ideally suited for Visual Basic but I
don't have that compilation environment setup on my workstation to try
out.

Anyone familiar with such matters? I have contacted the vendor to try
to initiate things on that end. But if there's something I can do to
circumvent that route using Python I'd give it a go.