COM objects in asp.net session

Jim

I have been tasked with migrating a legacy asp website
into asp.net. The website uses COM objects in session all
over the place (which is terrible but because the code is
going to be eventually phased out so its something that
we want to try to live with a bit longer).

The problem I am having is that these COM objects
(written in VB 6) don't survive from 1 page to the next.
It looks like the wrapper is stored in session but not
the object itself. When the page goes out of scope it
looks as if the object is destroyed. This is the error
message I am getting:

COM object that has been separated from its underlying
RCW can not be used.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is it not
possible to store these COM objects in session? I have
set aspcompat=true. It appears that storing an ADO
connection object in session works fine but these VB
created objects do not.

bruce barker

the error message means you are calling the com object on a different thread
than it was created in. asp had lots of code to handle sta objects, asp.net
does not. the best thing you can do with asp.net is host them in com+
instead of session, then port them as quick as possible.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)