com.sun.ftp?

Knute Johnson

From: Knute Johnson <[email protected]>

Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project that would
work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from that package. Is
it in the Mac version of Java 7?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Knute Johnson

To: Knute Johnson
From: Knute Johnson <[email protected]>

Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

Thanks,

Except it isn't com.sun.ftp, it's sun.net.ftp. It's been one of those days
already.

--

Knute Johnson

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Arne Vajhøj

To: Knute Johnson
From: Arne Vajhoj <[email protected]>

Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

Why not use the Apache Common Net library?

Instead of relying on some undocumented can change anytime stuff.

Arne

To: Arne Vajhøj
From: Knute Johnson <[email protected]>

Why not use the Apache Common Net library?

Instead of relying on some undocumented can change anytime stuff.

Arne

I think I was assuming that it is a coming feature. Why would they go to the
effort to create an ftp package and include it in the JDK if it wasn't going to
be a regular package some day.

--

Knute Johnson

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Roedy Green

To: Knute Johnson
From: Roedy Green <[email protected]>

Anybody know what the plans are for com.sun.ftp? I've got a project
that would work out really well if I could use the FtpClient class from
that package. Is it in the Mac version of Java 7?

There are some other packages you could use. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ftp.html

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Robert Klemme

To: Knute Johnson
From: Robert Klemme <[email protected]>

I think I was assuming that it is a coming feature. Why would they go
to the effort to create an ftp package and include it in the JDK if it
wasn't going to be a regular package some day.

One reason would be that it is not used explicitly but rather implicitly, for
example via
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/net/URL.html#openStream()

Also from that page: "Protocol handlers for the following protocols are
guaranteed to exist on the search path :-

http, https, ftp, file, and jar"

In other words: it is a regular package but it is not intended to be used
directly but only via a different publicly accessible package.

Kind regards

robert