Command line

Rong

Please forgive this stupid newb question but I thought it was possible
to send a command to the ruby interpreter without using IRB.
ruby puts "hello"

This command just returns an error that there is no file or directory
called hello.
Running Ruby 1.9.1

Help please.

Hassan Schroeder

Please forgive this stupid newb question but I thought it was possible
to send a command to the ruby interpreter without using IRB.
ruby puts "hello"

ruby --help

justathoughtor2

You could always just learn the API.

Was that intended as an insult? I was merely trying to help the best
way I knew how. I don't use the command line. I think it takes too
long.

Robert Klemme

2009/9/16 justathoughtor2 said:
Was that intended as an insult? I was merely trying to help the best
way I knew how. I don't use the command line. I think it takes too
long.

It seems a lot of us use command line Ruby because they consider it
*faster*. :) I guess Greg considered it a bit too heavy weight to
use an IDE for "hello". Btw, the OP specifically asked how to make
Ruby print "hello" from the command line - so "use an IDE" is not
exactly an answer to _that_ question.

Kind regards

robert

--=20