Commerical graphing packages?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Erik Johnson, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Erik Johnson

    Erik Johnson Guest

    I am wanting to generate dynamic graphs for our website and would rather
    not invest the time in developing the code to draw these starting from
    graphics primitives. I am looking for something that is... "fairly robust"
    but our needs are relatively modest: X-Y scatter plots w/ data point
    symbols, multiple data set X-Y line plots, bar charts, etc.

    Preferably this would come from a company that can provide support &
    decent documentation, and a package that can be installed without a bunch of
    extra hassle (e.g., needs Numeric Python, needs to have the GD library
    installed, needs separate JPEG encoders, font libraries, etc.)

    I am aware of ChartDirector (http://www.advsofteng.com/ ) which
    explicitly supports python and seems to be about the right level of
    sophistication. I don't really know of any other packages in this space, do
    you? I am seeking feedback and reccomendations from people who have used
    this package or similar ones. I am particularly interested to hear about any
    limitations or problems you ran into with whatever package you are using.

    Thanks for taking the time to read my post! :)

    -ej

    Erik Johnson, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Erik Johnson

    Larry Bates Guest

    ReportLab has pretty good Graphics Module. About the only thing
    it needs is Python Imaging Library (which you would probably
    want anyway).

    Larry Bates

    Larry Bates, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Erik Johnson

    Guest

    Check out GRACE. It's not specifically designed for Python, but I've
    been using with Python for a couple of years or more. I'm very happy
    with it, and it's free. It works both interactively and in batch mode.
    Do a google on GRACE.

    , Feb 11, 2005
  4. Erik Johnson

    Erik Johnson Guest

    Thank you both for your input. I will check them out. :)

    -ej

    Erik Johnson, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Erik Johnson wrote:
    > I am aware of ChartDirector (http://www.advsofteng.com/ ) which
    > explicitly supports python and seems to be about the right level of
    > sophistication. I don't really know of any other packages in this space, do
    > you? I am seeking feedback and reccomendations from people who have used
    > this package or similar ones. I am particularly interested to hear about any
    > limitations or problems you ran into with whatever package you are using.

    We use both the Python and C++ bindings of ChartDirector (although their
    license always spans /all/ supported bindings. It's all pretty
    straight-forward, well-documented, and the license fee is a bargain
    compared to other packages we've used in the past. What it is not
    suitable for is maybe allowing for 3d-views of data cubes - changeable
    on the fly.

    --
    Vincent Wehren

    Vincent Wehren, Feb 12, 2005
  6. Erik Johnson

    John J. Lee Guest

    writes:

    > Check out GRACE. It's not specifically designed for Python, but I've
    > been using with Python for a couple of years or more. I'm very happy
    > with it, and it's free. It works both interactively and in batch mode.
    > Do a google on GRACE.

    If you're generating lots of graphs programatically, eg. on a web
    server, grace is not what you want. Yes, it has a command language,
    but IIRC it depends on X11, and windows even pop up as it runs in
    batch mode. Bleh.

    Gets the job done for interactive editing of publication-quality
    scientific graphs, though.

    John

    John J. Lee, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Erik Johnson wrote:

    >I am wanting to generate dynamic graphs for our website and ...
    >I am aware of ChartDirector (http://www.advsofteng.com/ ) which

    I have used ChartDirector extensively as an activeX (not from
    python though). We found the API to be well-though and clean.

    The tool is definitely worth the value. Simple to use and productive.
    It saved us a lot of time. A great product.

    François

    Francis Gadenne, Feb 12, 2005
  8. Erik Johnson

    Guest

    >If you're generating lots of graphs programatically, eg. on a web
    >server, grace is not what you want. Yes, it has a command language,
    >but IIRC it depends on X11, and windows even pop up as it runs in
    >batch mode. Bleh.

    I don't understand what you're talking about. I've been using GRACE in
    batch mode for years and I've never had a window pop up. The only time
    a window "pops up" is when you start GRACE interactively.

    The GRACE command language is not the greatest, but it gets the job
    done. It may have improved lately too (I run a fairly old version).

    Another nice feature of GRACE is a fairly active user community and a
    mailing list for help. They helped get me unstuck several times a while
    back.

    , Feb 12, 2005
  9. Erik Johnson

    John J. Lee Guest

    writes:

    > >If you're generating lots of graphs programatically, eg. on a web
    > >server, grace is not what you want. Yes, it has a command language,
    > >but IIRC it depends on X11, and windows even pop up as it runs in
    > >batch mode. Bleh.

    > I don't understand what you're talking about. I've been using GRACE in
    > batch mode for years and I've never had a window pop up. The only time
    > a window "pops up" is when you start GRACE interactively.

    Hmm, I guess I was actually using grace_np.py rather than batch
    mode... it was a few years ago I last used it.

    > The GRACE command language is not the greatest, but it gets the job
    > done. It may have improved lately too (I run a fairly old version).
    >
    > Another nice feature of GRACE is a fairly active user community and a
    > mailing list for help. They helped get me unstuck several times a while
    > back.

    ....and some nasty features are the rather nasty GUI (at least, I found
    it awkward) and the fact that it's the only X11 application I've used
    that ever managed to crash my whole X desktop.

    John

    John J. Lee, Feb 13, 2005
  10. Erik Johnson

    David Fraser Guest

    Erik Johnson wrote:
    > I am wanting to generate dynamic graphs for our website and would rather
    > not invest the time in developing the code to draw these starting from
    > graphics primitives. I am looking for something that is... "fairly robust"
    > but our needs are relatively modest: X-Y scatter plots w/ data point
    > symbols, multiple data set X-Y line plots, bar charts, etc.
    >
    > Preferably this would come from a company that can provide support &
    > decent documentation, and a package that can be installed without a bunch of
    > extra hassle (e.g., needs Numeric Python, needs to have the GD library
    > installed, needs separate JPEG encoders, font libraries, etc.)
    >
    > I am aware of ChartDirector (http://www.advsofteng.com/ ) which
    > explicitly supports python and seems to be about the right level of
    > sophistication. I don't really know of any other packages in this space, do
    > you? I am seeking feedback and reccomendations from people who have used
    > this package or similar ones. I am particularly interested to hear about any
    > limitations or problems you ran into with whatever package you are using.
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to read my post! :)

    It's worth checking out matplotlib as well although it may not meet all
    your criteria ... but have a look, its a great package

    David Fraser, Feb 14, 2005
  11. Le lundi 14 Février 2005 11:02, David Fraser a écrit :
    > Erik Johnson wrote:
    > > I am wanting to generate dynamic graphs for our website and would
    > > rather not invest the time in developing the code to draw these starting
    > > from graphics primitives. I am looking for something that is... "fairly
    > > robust" but our needs are relatively modest: X-Y scatter plots w/ data
    > > point symbols, multiple data set X-Y line plots, bar charts, etc.
    > >
    > > Preferably this would come from a company that can provide support &
    > > decent documentation, and a package that can be installed without a bunch
    > > of extra hassle (e.g., needs Numeric Python, needs to have the GD library
    > > installed, needs separate JPEG encoders, font libraries, etc.)
    > >
    > > I am aware of ChartDirector (http://www.advsofteng.com/ ) which
    > > explicitly supports python and seems to be about the right level of
    > > sophistication. I don't really know of any other packages in this space,
    > > do you? I am seeking feedback and reccomendations from people who have
    > > used this package or similar ones. I am particularly interested to hear
    > > about any limitations or problems you ran into with whatever package you
    > > are using.
    > >
    > > Thanks for taking the time to read my post! :)

    > It's worth checking out matplotlib as well although it may not meet all
    > your criteria ... but have a look, its a great package

    PyX might also be interesting, depending on your needs.

    Regards

    Francis Girard

    Francis Girard, Feb 14, 2005
  12. Erik Johnson

    John Hunter Guest

    Francis> PyX might also be interesting, depending on your needs.

    While pyx is a very nice package, it is probably not a good choice for
    web app developers simply because it generates postscript, which is
    not very browser friendly. Once could send the PS through a converter
    such as ImageMagick, but it would probably be better to use a library
    that generates browser friendly output natively.

    matplotlib on the other hand, *does* work in web app servers, and
    generates PNG/SVG natively. See
    http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq.html#APPSERVER

    Although it is a free and open source package, I think that the image
    quality and support is on par with if not superior to what you find in
    many commercial solutions. If the OP wants commercial support, he
    might consider contacting the developer off-list :)

    JDH

    John Hunter, Feb 14, 2005
  13. Erik Johnson

    Robert Kern Guest

    John Hunter wrote:

    > Although it is a free and open source package, I think that the image
    > quality and support is on par with if not superior to what you find in
    > many commercial solutions.

    Amen to that. The ChartDirector demos looked very ugly to my eye.
    matplotlib plots usually look quite good without any tweaking.

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter

    Robert Kern, Feb 15, 2005