Communication between HttpApplication that run on the same server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sherif ElMetainy, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Hello

    I suggeest using xml web services. Remoting can be used too, and it can be
    hosted in IIS, without the need for a separate process. Both solutions are
    simple in deploymen, but the xml web service approach is simpler in
    implementation.

    Best regards,
    Sherif

    "[Gauthier]" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've a simple question:
    >
    > On a server that run multiple asp.net HttpApplication, is there any way

    with
    > the asp.net framework to exchange data between different application?
    >
    > I basically need to send message to a 'server wide' application from any
    > HttpApplication on the same server and obtain responses (wich may be

    simple
    > strings or streams for example), this 'server wide' application is also
    > HttpApplication.
    >
    > If such feature doesn't exist, is this a place for remoting?
    >
    > If this is a place for remoting did you have some hints on how I should

    host

    [Gauthier], Nov 2, 2003

  3. Sherif ElMetainy

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    Remoting is the replacement for all things DCOM. It will allow you, for
    example, to push data thru one process boundary into another running process
    which is what I think you are after. I'd suggest you start reading up before
    you dive in because a couple issues can bite you. Look at ingo rammar's
    book, it's the definitive work on remoting.

    --

    -----------
    Got TidBits?
    "[Gauthier]" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your reply,
    >
    > I'm more interested with remoting in place of xml web service because it's

    > communication between 2 process that live on the same machine and also for
    > performances reason.
    >
    > Could you tell me how IIS can host such remote process?
    >
    > A solution I was thinking about was having a System.Diagnostics.Process
    > launched in Global.asax.cs within the Application_Start event, a console
    > process with standard I/O, so I could manage to get the ProcessId in other
    > HttpApplication and get a reference on that process, but I'm wondering if
    > remoting and all stuffs that come along wouldn't be a better solution.
    >
    > I'm almost concerned with request concurrency (many apps that make request
    > on the 'server wide' application) and I imagine this could be an issue if

    > use standard I/O of the process as the sole way to communicate.
    >
    > So does the solution would be a dedicated process hosted in IIS that
    > communicate with my httpapps with a remoting client over tcp messages

    would

    Alvin Bruney, Nov 2, 2003
  4. Sherif ElMetainy

    [Gauthier] Guest

    Thanks for your reply,

    I'm more interested with remoting in place of xml web service because it's a
    communication between 2 process that live on the same machine and also for
    performances reason.

    Could you tell me how IIS can host such remote process?

    A solution I was thinking about was having a System.Diagnostics.Process
    launched in Global.asax.cs within the Application_Start event, a console
    process with standard I/O, so I could manage to get the ProcessId in other
    HttpApplication and get a reference on that process, but I'm wondering if
    remoting and all stuffs that come along wouldn't be a better solution.

    I'm almost concerned with request concurrency (many apps that make request
    on the 'server wide' application) and I imagine this could be an issue if I

    [Gauthier], Nov 2, 2003
  5. Sherif ElMetainy

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    you don't need to explicitly check for it. just make the call. the
    application object and everthing related to it will either honor the request
    if it is running or the runtime will first create and run the application,
    initializing all the relevant objects before honoring the call.

    --

    -----------
    "[Gauthier]" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, I've succesfully implemented a quick test and registered a
    > tcpchannel in my Global.asax.cs and it's work succesfully: I can call

    simple
    > methods from a remote application.
    >
    > Now I've a simple question:
    > Is there an clean way to ensure that an httpapplication is allready

    started
    > (for my 'server wide' application), because my client applications need

    that
    > the httpapplication is started to make remote method calls, and it's fail

    if
    > the 'server wide' application is not started?
    >
    > A simple solution I've think about is to make some 'activation

    httprequests'
    > on the 'server wide' application in my client applications, but that seams

    > dirty solution if there is a more convinient way to autostart
    > httpapplications with iis or such thing.
    >
    > Thanks for insight.
    >
    > Gauthier
    >
    > "Alvin Bruney" <vapordan_spam_me_not@hotmail_no_spamhotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > Remoting is the replacement for all things DCOM. It will allow you, for
    > > example, to push data thru one process boundary into another running

    > process
    > > which is what I think you are after. I'd suggest you start reading up

    > before
    > > you dive in because a couple issues can bite you. Look at ingo rammar's
    > > book, it's the definitive work on remoting.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > -----------
    > > Got TidBits?
    > > Get it here: www.networkip.net/tidbits
    > > "[Gauthier]" <> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for your reply,
    > > >
    > > > I'm more interested with remoting in place of xml web service because

    > it's
    > > > communication between 2 process that live on the same machine and also

    > for
    > > > performances reason.
    > > >
    > > > Could you tell me how IIS can host such remote process?
    > > >
    > > > A solution I was thinking about was having a

    System.Diagnostics.Process
    > > > launched in Global.asax.cs within the Application_Start event, a

    console
    > > > process with standard I/O, so I could manage to get the ProcessId in

    > other
    > > > HttpApplication and get a reference on that process, but I'm wondering

    > if
    > > > remoting and all stuffs that come along wouldn't be a better solution.
    > > >
    > > > I'm almost concerned with request concurrency (many apps that make

    > request
    > > > on the 'server wide' application) and I imagine this could be an issue

    > if
    > > > use standard I/O of the process as the sole way to communicate.
    > > >
    > > > So does the solution would be a dedicated process hosted in IIS that
    > > > communicate with my httpapps with a remoting client over tcp messages

    > > would
    > > > be the good one?
    > > >
    > > > Will I have to investigate on threads issues or bottleneck to

    implement
    > > > such process? (that's surely why xml web service and http

    communication
    > > > 'simplify' a lot of stuffs)
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for assistance & best regards
    > > >
    > > > Gauthier
    > > >
    > > > "Sherif ElMetainy" <> wrote in

    message

    Alvin Bruney, Nov 3, 2003
  6. Sherif ElMetainy

    [Gauthier] Guest

    Thanks, I've succesfully implemented a quick test and registered a
    tcpchannel in my Global.asax.cs and it's work succesfully: I can call simple
    methods from a remote application.

    Now I've a simple question:
    Is there an clean way to ensure that an httpapplication is allready started
    (for my 'server wide' application), because my client applications need that
    the httpapplication is started to make remote method calls, and it's fail if
    the 'server wide' application is not started?

    A simple solution I've think about is to make some 'activation httprequests'
    on the 'server wide' application in my client applications, but that seams a

    [Gauthier], Nov 4, 2003
  7. Sherif ElMetainy

    [Gauthier] Guest

    Hello,

    I've missexplained my problem here:

    My problem is that my 'server wide' HttpApplication is not allready started
    in some case (for exemple just after saving the web.config of the
    application).

    Since I initialize my Channel in the Application_Start event, it's ok if the
    application is allready started (for exemple just after a web request on
    this application was made).

    But i'm getting SocketException with the following message: 'No connection
    could be made because the target machine actively refused it' when the
    application is not allready started.

    So the solution would be:
    1: find a way to start the application when iis service is starting and
    expecting that the application is not recycled is no request are made on it
    after a period of time (is there such behavior in the asp.net framework?)

    2: find a way to check that the channel exist (the 'server wide' application
    is allready started) in my client remotefacade.

    I've allready think about a possible implementation of the second solution
    but the primmer seems simpler if it's possible and I don't know wether it is
    or not.

    Anyway I have to make such test (the second solution) to ensure that the
    'server wide' application has registered the channel, for the sake of
    robustness.

    Thanks

    [Gauthier], Nov 4, 2003
  8. Sherif ElMetainy

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    This isn't built in. You may write a service to do that but it's difficult
    to do since the OS scheduler isn't guaranteed to start services in a
    particular order. Better said, the service which start aren't guaranteed to
    start in a particular order, so you aren't guaranteed that because iis
    service starts before your service that iis will actually end up running
    before your service resulting in errors on your part from this discrapency.

    I suggest you go with option 2.

    --

    Alvin Bruney, Nov 6, 2003