    Scott Robert Ladd
    site: http://www.coyotegulch.com
    blog: http://chaoticcoyote.blogspot.com
    Scott Robert Ladd, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Scott Robert Ladd <> wrote:
    > I've posted a comparison of recent GCC versions (3.3, 3.4, and the
    > coming 4.0) with Intel C++ 8.1, including several benchmarks and
    > "state-of-the-product" reviews. You can find the article at:
    >
    > http://www.coyotegulch.com/reviews/linux_compilers/

    Are there any _working_ free (not free demo) C++ compilers for Linux except
    of G++?

    --
    == Victor Porton () ==
    # http://ex-code.com - software company, custom software for low price #
    Victor Porton, Sep 18, 2004

  3. Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've posted a comparison of recent GCC versions (3.3, 3.4, and the
    > coming 4.0) with Intel C++ 8.1, including several benchmarks and
    > "state-of-the-product" reviews. You can find the article at:
    >
    > http://www.coyotegulch.com/reviews/linux_compilers/
    >
    > The above article replaces an older piece I published in late 2002. This
    > new comparison marks what I hope will be an ongoing series that tracks the
    > quality of Linux compilers.

    That's nice. Regarding OpenMP,it looks very promising so far. Upcoming
    VC++ will support it too (the version 2). About when will GCC support
    this standard?

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
    Ioannis Vranos, Sep 18, 2004
  4. "Victor Porton" <> wrote in message
    > Are there any _working_ free (not free demo) C++ compilers for Linux
    > except
    > of G++?

    ICC is iirc free for non-comercial use.

    Vaclav Haisman
    Vaclav Haisman, Sep 18, 2004
  5. On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:15:12 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
    > That's nice. Regarding OpenMP,it looks very promising so far. Upcoming
    > VC++ will support it too (the version 2). About when will GCC support
    > this standard?

    I'm one of the founding members of GOMP, the GNU OpenMP project. So far,
    we've done a lot of talking and design, but no one has the funding to
    spend full-time on implementation. We've had more activity recently, but
    until some support comes along, development is going to be slow, I'm
    afraid.

    ...Scott

    Scott Robert Ladd, Sep 18, 2004
  6. Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

    > I'm one of the founding members of GOMP, the GNU OpenMP project. So far,
    > we've done a lot of talking and design, but no one has the funding to
    > spend full-time on implementation. We've had more activity recently, but
    > until some support comes along, development is going to be slow, I'm
    > afraid.

    However with the upcoming multicore processors due next year, I think
    that multithreading will become a mainstream interest for developers.

    Ioannis Vranos, Sep 18, 2004
  7. On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:08:35 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

    > Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
    >
    >> I'm one of the founding members of GOMP, the GNU OpenMP project. So far,
    >> we've done a lot of talking and design, but no one has the funding to
    >> spend full-time on implementation. We've had more activity recently, but
    >> until some support comes along, development is going to be slow, I'm
    >> afraid.

    > However with the upcoming multicore processors due next year, I think
    > that multithreading will become a mainstream interest for developers.

    That's been my point in GCC circles for more than two years; the problem
    is, the people who want OpenMP (like me) can't afford to spend the time on
    making it a reality. Somebody has to pay to the bills, and no one has
    stepped forward yet. Several potential sponsors decided to go with
    commercial compilers rather than fund GOMP.

    Such is life in the world of free software!

    ...Scott

    Scott Robert Ladd, Sep 18, 2004