Comparing Linux C and C++ Compilers: Benchmarks and Analysis

Scott Robert Ladd

Hello,

I've posted a comparison of recent GCC versions (3.3, 3.4, and the
coming 4.0) with Intel C++ 8.1, including several benchmarks and
"state-of-the-product" reviews. You can find the article at:

http://www.coyotegulch.com/reviews/linux_compilers/

The above article replaces an older piece I published in late 2002. This
new comparison marks what I hope will be an ongoing series that tracks the
quality of Linux compilers.

...Scott

Ioannis Vranos

Scott said:
Hello,

I've posted a comparison of recent GCC versions (3.3, 3.4, and the
coming 4.0) with Intel C++ 8.1, including several benchmarks and
"state-of-the-product" reviews. You can find the article at:

http://www.coyotegulch.com/reviews/linux_compilers/

The above article replaces an older piece I published in late 2002. This
new comparison marks what I hope will be an ongoing series that tracks the
quality of Linux compilers.

That's nice. Regarding OpenMP,it looks very promising so far. Upcoming
VC++ will support it too (the version 2). About when will GCC support
this standard?

Vaclav Haisman

Victor Porton said:
Are there any _working_ free (not free demo) C++ compilers for Linux
except
of G++?

ICC is iirc free for non-comercial use.

Vaclav Haisman

Scott Robert Ladd

That's nice. Regarding OpenMP,it looks very promising so far. Upcoming
VC++ will support it too (the version 2). About when will GCC support
this standard?

I'm one of the founding members of GOMP, the GNU OpenMP project. So far,
we've done a lot of talking and design, but no one has the funding to
spend full-time on implementation. We've had more activity recently, but
until some support comes along, development is going to be slow, I'm
afraid.

...Scott

Ioannis Vranos

Scott said:
I'm one of the founding members of GOMP, the GNU OpenMP project. So far,
we've done a lot of talking and design, but no one has the funding to
spend full-time on implementation. We've had more activity recently, but
until some support comes along, development is going to be slow, I'm
afraid.

However with the upcoming multicore processors due next year, I think
that multithreading will become a mainstream interest for developers.

Scott Robert Ladd

However with the upcoming multicore processors due next year, I think
that multithreading will become a mainstream interest for developers.

That's been my point in GCC circles for more than two years; the problem
is, the people who want OpenMP (like me) can't afford to spend the time on
making it a reality. Somebody has to pay to the bills, and no one has
stepped forward yet. Several potential sponsors decided to go with
commercial compilers rather than fund GOMP.

Such is life in the world of free software!

...Scott