    Jabber ID:
    Location: South Africa
    Time Zone UTC +2

    Jens Thiede, Jun 16, 2004

  2. Jens Thiede

    markspace Guest

    Jens Thiede wrote:
    > Q 1: I've not been using C++ much yet, but is it true that C++ is an
    > unfriendly language to code in *OR*, as I think, is it just a case of C
    > people, coding in C and calling it C++?

    I think this is a loaded question, and highly subjective to boot. I'll
    say that personally, I find C++ to be more "unfriendly" than just about
    any other language I've ever dealt with. But C++ is the only well
    accepted, modern language that's useful in large project. Basically,
    expect to use C++ on any real job (job=get paid).

    > Q 2: What would C++'s market share go to when the market would consist of
    > Python, Java, C and Ada?

    Ada's already out there, market share == squat.

    C is popular but legacy. Write kernels and small embedded apps in C,
    nothing else.

    Python is a scripting language with less market share than bash
    scripting. You figure it out.

    Java == toy for academia.

    Perl is the real scripting language, based on actual use and expected
    future use. The only competitor is Visual Basic Script and ASP, and
    that's just becuase of MicroSoft's marketing muscle.

    anything replacing them soon.

    markspace, Jun 16, 2004

  3. "markspace" <> wrote in message
    > Jens Thiede wrote:
    > > Q 1: I've not been using C++ much yet, but is it true that C++ is an
    > > unfriendly language to code in *OR*, as I think, is it just a case of C
    > > people, coding in C and calling it C++?

    > 'll say that personally, I find C++ to be more "unfriendly" than just

    about
    > any other language I've ever dealt with.

    It is not only your personal opinion, it is objective because of bunth of
    parameters. See below, java is academic standard.

    > Basically,
    > expect to use C++ on any real job (job=get paid).

    You propagate the bad standard saying so. This way we will never be able

    > Java == toy for academia.

    That's right. Delphi and Java are good examples of programming langs. When
    you start a new application consider one of them. The first one for
    performance Windows/(Linux?) apps while development is still rapid comparing
    with VC. Java for apps where performance is not paramaunt.

    > The only competitor is Visual Basic Script and ASP, and
    > that's just becuase of MicroSoft's marketing muscle.

    VB is too ugly to call it lang. I'd mention JavaScript, java scripts are
    several times smaller and less error-prone about an order. MS does not like
    developers (I see it by their VS), I wonder why they support JS at the same
    level as VBS.

    > anything replacing them soon.

    If you want to be more productive and enjoy your work, consider delphi/java.
    Your time and health has its cost.

    valentin tihomirov, Jun 16, 2004
  4. Jens Thiede wrote:
    > Q 1: I've not been using C++ much yet, but is it true that C++ is an
    > unfriendly language to code in *OR*, as I think, is it just a case of C
    > people, coding in C and calling it C++?

    If a C person coding in C (and compiling with C++) suddenly calls C++
    unfriendly, is he/she a real C person?

    > Q 2: What would C++'s market share go to when the market would consist of
    > Python, Java, C and Ada?

    This is a trick question, right? If the market consists of X, Y, and Z,
    the share of T is *0*, otherwise the market would consist of X, Y, Z,
    _and_ T. So, the answer to your question is _0_.

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 16, 2004
  5. Jens Thiede

    Mike Smith Guest

    markspace wrote:

    > Perl is the real scripting language, based on actual use and expected
    > future use. The only competitor is Visual Basic Script and ASP, and
    > that's just becuase of MicroSoft's marketing muscle.

    > anything replacing them soon.

    Really? It seems to me that PHP is pretty popular these days... (and
    yes, PHP *used to* be a bunch of Perl scripts, but not anymore...)

    --
    Mike Smith

    Mike Smith, Jun 16, 2004
  6. Jens Thiede

    markspace Guest

    Mike Smith wrote:
    > Really? It seems to me that PHP is pretty popular these days... (and
    > yes, PHP *used to* be a bunch of Perl scripts, but not anymore...)

    Oh, well, I don't actually work in web design. I just know some people
    who do and they're all at pretty much perl only shops. PHP might be
    taking over Perl in the larger world.

    markspace, Jun 16, 2004
  7. Jens Thiede

    Pete C. Guest

    Jens Thiede wrote:
    > Q 1: I've not been using C++ much yet, but is it true that C++ is an
    > unfriendly language to code in *OR*, as I think, is it just a case of
    > C people, coding in C and calling it C++?

    I think it's a case of people unfamiliar with the language not knowing how
    to use it.
    I found it tricky to learn, but now that I know it well I'm much more
    productive in it than, say, C# or VB.

    Esp. on game development sites they treat it like "C that allows member
    functions in structs", and use pointers for /everything/, such as:

    struct s{};
    int main()
    {
    s* foo = new s;
    // use s...
    delete foo;
    return 0;
    }

    Not to mention ignoring the standard library and coding your own seems to be
    popular.

    > Q 2: What would C++'s market share go to when the market would
    > consist of Python, Java, C and Ada?

    Well if only Python, Java, C, and Ada were in the market, I can't see how
    C++ would have any...
    Perhaps you mean something else?

    - Pete

    Pete C., Jun 16, 2004