Comparison: C++, C, Python, Java

Jens Thiede

Q 1: I've not been using C++ much yet, but is it true that C++ is an
unfriendly language to code in *OR*, as I think, is it just a case of C
people, coding in C and calling it C++?

Q 2: What would C++'s market share go to when the market would consist of
Python, Java, C and Ada?

Thanks for consice replies,

Jens.

markspace

Jens said:
Q 1: I've not been using C++ much yet, but is it true that C++ is an
unfriendly language to code in *OR*, as I think, is it just a case of C
people, coding in C and calling it C++?

I think this is a loaded question, and highly subjective to boot. I'll
say that personally, I find C++ to be more "unfriendly" than just about
any other language I've ever dealt with. But C++ is the only well
accepted, modern language that's useful in large project. Basically,
expect to use C++ on any real job (job=get paid).
Q 2: What would C++'s market share go to when the market would consist of
Python, Java, C and Ada?

Ada's already out there, market share == squat.

C is popular but legacy. Write kernels and small embedded apps in C,
nothing else.

Python is a scripting language with less market share than bash
scripting. You figure it out.

Java == toy for academia.

Perl is the real scripting language, based on actual use and expected
future use. The only competitor is Visual Basic Script and ASP, and
that's just becuase of MicroSoft's marketing muscle.

anything replacing them soon.

valentin tihomirov

markspace said:
'll say that personally, I find C++ to be more "unfriendly" than just about
any other language I've ever dealt with.
It is not only your personal opinion, it is objective because of bunth of
parameters. See below, java is academic standard.

Basically,
expect to use C++ on any real job (job=get paid).
You propagate the bad standard saying so. This way we will never be able

Java == toy for academia.
That's right. Delphi and Java are good examples of programming langs. When
you start a new application consider one of them. The first one for
performance Windows/(Linux?) apps while development is still rapid comparing
with VC. Java for apps where performance is not paramaunt.

The only competitor is Visual Basic Script and ASP, and
that's just becuase of MicroSoft's marketing muscle.
VB is too ugly to call it lang. I'd mention JavaScript, java scripts are
several times smaller and less error-prone about an order. MS does not like
developers (I see it by their VS), I wonder why they support JS at the same
level as VBS.

anything replacing them soon.
If you want to be more productive and enjoy your work, consider delphi/java.
Your time and health has its cost.

Victor Bazarov

Jens said:
Q 1: I've not been using C++ much yet, but is it true that C++ is an
unfriendly language to code in *OR*, as I think, is it just a case of C
people, coding in C and calling it C++?

If a C person coding in C (and compiling with C++) suddenly calls C++
unfriendly, is he/she a real C person?
Q 2: What would C++'s market share go to when the market would consist of
Python, Java, C and Ada?

This is a trick question, right? If the market consists of X, Y, and Z,
the share of T is *0*, otherwise the market would consist of X, Y, Z,
_and_ T. So, the answer to your question is _0_.

Victor

Mike Smith

markspace said:
Perl is the real scripting language, based on actual use and expected
future use. The only competitor is Visual Basic Script and ASP, and
that's just becuase of MicroSoft's marketing muscle.

anything replacing them soon.

Really? It seems to me that PHP is pretty popular these days... (and
yes, PHP *used to* be a bunch of Perl scripts, but not anymore...)

markspace

Mike said:
Really? It seems to me that PHP is pretty popular these days... (and
yes, PHP *used to* be a bunch of Perl scripts, but not anymore...)

Oh, well, I don't actually work in web design. I just know some people
who do and they're all at pretty much perl only shops. PHP might be
taking over Perl in the larger world.

Pete C.

Jens said:
Q 1: I've not been using C++ much yet, but is it true that C++ is an
unfriendly language to code in *OR*, as I think, is it just a case of
C people, coding in C and calling it C++?

I think it's a case of people unfamiliar with the language not knowing how
to use it.
I found it tricky to learn, but now that I know it well I'm much more
productive in it than, say, C# or VB.

Esp. on game development sites they treat it like "C that allows member
functions in structs", and use pointers for /everything/, such as:

struct s{};
int main()
{
s* foo = new s;
// use s...
delete foo;
return 0;
}

Not to mention ignoring the standard library and coding your own seems to be
popular.
Q 2: What would C++'s market share go to when the market would
consist of Python, Java, C and Ada?

Well if only Python, Java, C, and Ada were in the market, I can't see how
C++ would have any...
Perhaps you mean something else?

- Pete