Compile ASP.Net 2.0

Guest

I am porting a website to ASP.net 2.0. Temporarily I compile with Visual
Studio 2003 and deploying to ASP.net 2.0. How do I compile my website under
ASP.Net 2.0? I know it can compile each page as I touch it.
During the beta there used to be something like mywebsite.com/compile.???
that you could run. Does it still exist?

Brock Allen

ASP.NET 1.x app shouldn't need to be recompiled -- in theory it should run
fine under a 2.0 configuration. If you need/want to recompile and you use
VS.NET, then open your VS.NET 2003 project with VS.NET 2005 and it should
convert the project. Once you've done that (and sorted any problems) then
you can precompile with aspnet_compiler.exe or the Build->Publish menu pick
in VS.NET. If your ASP.NET 1.x app didn't use VS.NET to compile, then you
can just deploy it as-is and let the demand compile take care of things,
or again run aspnet_compiler.exe to precompile.

Guest

Brock Allen,
No I don't want to convert my project to VS 2005 this week. That will come
later. First I would like to know if I have any issues with ASP.Net 2.0. I
have issues with user controls. The name and ID that ASP.Net returns to the
browser has changed from 1.1 to 2.0. Sometimes I need to access these names
directly with javascript and sometimes I need these name at the server.
Arne

Brock Allen

So if you don't want to do a conversion at the source code level, then I'd
suggest just moving the code to a ASP.NET 2.0 app and let it run (so no recompile).
ASP.NET 2.0 is supposed to be 100% backwards compat with ASP.NET 1.x, but
the problems you might run into is if you're using a framework API that's
specifically not backwards compatible in 2.0. These APIs are covered in the
list of breaking changes from .NET 1.1 to 2.0.

As for the IDs and how they are generated in the client, as long as you don't
hard code the IDs in your client side javascript you're ok. You shouldn't
have done that in 1.x anyway... the ClientID property was there in 1.x for
that purpose.

Guest

Yes,
The clienID has changed. There is no longer an underscore starting the
prefix of a control in a user control. Maybe it is more Firefox friendly.

Brock Allen

Ah, I see what you're getting at. Well, that was well known in v1.x to be
something that could change in future releases, so hard coding the ID in
your javascript was improper design in v1.x. That's why there was a ClientID
property in v1.x.

But point taken. I agree that not all apps will just magically work in v2.0
if they were working on v1.x. Anyone would certainly need to do thorough
testing before moving their app live under v2.0.