ASP.NET 2.0 Website Administration Tool Sucks!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dm1608, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. dm1608

    dm1608 Guest

    I understand the concept of the WAT tool for ASP.NET. It seems to work well
    when used from a developer PC and launching thru Visual Studio 2005, etc.

    The coolness of Membership, Roles, etc., quickly fade as I try and deploy a
    website using these technologies....

    I have inhereted a website that I need to host that contained a bunch of
    pre-compiled web pages and assemblies using .NET 2.0.

    The author said that I need to run the aspnet_iisreg tool tool to create all
    the necessary tables and whatnot for the Membership and Roles services under
    my existing database.

    All is fine except for one thing.

    I have no data in the aspnet tables for administrating the site.

    I have done a few searches and see where some folks say I can launch the
    WebAdmin site from IIS without having Visual Studio loaded. I have yet to
    get the administration web page to load. Either I'm getting access denied
    messages or some other cryptic errors.

    How is a normal admin suppose to get this stuff to work without having to
    have a develpoer on-hand?

    All I want to do is create an admin user (with encrypted password) and
    assign a role to him so I can log into web application.

    What am I missing here?

    dm1608, Sep 9, 2008