Compile Component

Reggie

Hi and TIA. I have some question about designing a component and how to use
it and where to place it. VS2005/ .net2.0/ Vista Business/ IIS7.0

I have a component DataSetToExcel.dll that I use in my app. I got it from
the web, compiled it and I've added this file to my bin directory and set a
reference to it (right click/add ref). I can then use it in my web pages
without adding an Imports DataSetToExcel to my code file. I thought you had
to use the Imports directive before it could be used in a web page. The way
I found this out is if I add the Imports DataSetToExcel directive I get an
error when I compile stating that "Overload resolution failed because no
accessible "convert" accepts this number of parameters. This is the line of
code that I I had in my page before adding the DataSetToExcel component (and
still have):
Dim NIIN As String = Convert.ToString(reader("NIIN")).
The DataSetToExcel component also has the method "Convert" overloaded 3
times and it accepts 2 parameters and I use it like so
DataSetToExcel.Convert(ds, Response).

So I guess my question is what is the proper method for using a compiled
component? Also, I read that once compiled and placed in the bin directory
it would be accessible to my entire app, but unless I also add a reference
(right click / add reference) it's not accessible. The reason I'm wondering
if I have to add the reference is because I work remotely and can FTP files
the server and bin folder, but don't know how to set the reference remotely
without call the server administrator and having them do it locally.
Anyway, if you could shed any light on this I would highly appreciate it.
Thanks for your time.

Reggie

Forgot. Can I/should I simply place the DataSetToExcel.vb file in my
App_Code folder and use it from there. If so do I need to use it? Thanks
again!