Compile perl code/files via STDIN

mseele

yes you're write, i want to provide my code by typing
directly from the command line, rather than executing a pre-existing
file containing perl code.
but i don't want to end the perl process after compilation of one
file, i want to use the -c option, get the result and want to put new
perl code into the perl process a later time. how can i do this? is it
actually possible?

Sherm Pendley

mseele said:
yes you're write

*Who* is right? A little context please - quote the relevant parts of the
message you're replying to, and post your reply as a *reply*, not as the
start of a new thread.

, i want to provide my code by typing
directly from the command line, rather than executing a pre-existing
file containing perl code.

Why? I'm serious - Take a step back, and tell us what problem you're trying
to solve using this approach.

sherm--

Tad McClellan

mseele said:
yes you're write,

*Who* is right?

If you are following up to something that was posted earlier, then:

1) post a followup in the same thread, do not start a
new unconnected thread

2) quote a bit of the text that you are going to comment on

i want to provide my code by typing
directly from the command line, rather than executing a pre-existing
file containing perl code.

Why do you want to provide your code by typing directly from the
command line, rather than executing a pre-existing file containing
perl code?

That is, what do you hope to gain be being able to do that?

i want to use the -c option, get the result

The -c command line switch does not _have_ a "result", other than
perhaps some output on STDERR.

Are you thinking that it makes the byte codes available somehow?

and want to put new
perl code into the perl process a later time. how can i do this?

The way the FAQ suggests.

is it
actually possible?

You are expected to check the Perl FAQ *before* posting to the
Perl newsgroup:

perldoc -q compile

How can I compile my Perl program into byte code or C?