Compiling a ASP.NET project on the server with vbc.exe

Brian B.

Hi,

I have an ASP.NET project written in VB.NET on a server. I have made a few
changes to some files using notepad while remotely connected to the server.
How can I compile the project on the server (that doesn't have VS.NET
installed on it) so that the changes take affect?

I've tried playing around with vbc.exe but I couldn't get the parameters
right - it kept reporting missing references etc.

Here is the structure of the VS.NET solution:

- vs.net.project.1 (with aspx/vb files)
- - references (vs.net.project.2, system.data, system.drawing, system.web,
system.xml )
- - subdirecoty1 (with aspx/vb files)
- - subdirectory2 (with aspx/vb files)

- vs.net.project.2 (with vb class files)
- - references (3rd.party.dll, system.data, system.drawing, system.web,
system.xml )

Here is the directory structure on the server:

c:\websites\vs.net.project.1.website\ (with aspx/vb files)
c:\websites\vs.net.project.1.website\bin (with vs.net.project.1.dll,
vs.net.project2.dll, 3rd.party.dll)
c:\websites\vs.net.project.1.website\subdirectory1 (with aspx/vb files)
c:\websites\vs.net.project.1.website\subdirectory2 (with aspx/vb files)
c:\websites\vs.net.project.1.website\vs.net.project.2.folder\ (with vb class
files)
c:\websites\vs.net.project.1.website\vs.net.project.2.folder\bin (with
3rd.party.dll, vs.net.project.2.dll)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian

Chris R. Timmons

Hi,

I have an ASP.NET project written in VB.NET on a server. I have
made a few changes to some files using notepad while remotely
connected to the server. How can I compile the project on the
server (that doesn't have VS.NET installed on it) so that the
changes take affect?

Brian,

Can you execute a process on the server (e.g. can you do something
like a Telnet session)? If so, you can use VS.NET in command-line
mode to compile your solution. Enter "devenv /?" to get info on how
to build a solution this way. Also see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-
us/vsintro7/html/vxgrfCommandLineSwitches.asp

The simplest case may be to switch to the folder your solution is in,
and enter something like "devenv /build debug mysolution.sln". (You
can replace "debug" with "release" to build a release version).

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Chance Hopkins

from run box:

cmd

%VSCOMNTOOLS%vsvars32.bat

vbc /?

start reading

good luck...

Brian B.

Chris,

Even though I do have remote access to this server with execute
permissions, I don't have the VS.NET installed on the box. I assume
that's why I can't execute devenv tool.

Thanks,

Bojan

Chance Hopkins

I think all you need is the sdk for the vb compiler...

that's the "vbc" I mentioned below