Compiling a C program through another C program

CBFalconer

Chris said:
.... snip ...

Why? The ISO standards are not free. I would happily give the
MISRA-C away free if you will fund the production costs.

I tell you what I'll do. Send me a text (preferable) or PDF
version of the current MISRA specification, and I'll mount it on my
page (URL below) for free download. No charge. Do not fail to
include a suitable license. Limit line length to 67 for general
usability as quotation material. I'll probably mount it in a zip
with the license.

Mark McIntyre

I think we are moving away from the ANSI standard phase of C's history and
into something new.

I think you're losing the plot. As things mature, they move TOWARDS
standardisation, not away from it.
What that will be is a good question.

What we're probably moving towards is a new standard which includes a
raft of stuff currently excluded. This might for example include
networking (which is almost ubiquitous now, even on some embedded
hardware) and other stuff. I
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Malcolm McLean

Mark McIntyre said:
I think you're losing the plot. As things mature, they move TOWARDS
standardisation, not away from it.
Not always. When I was little most cars had round headlights. There were two
or three diameters in production, and apart from that any lamp would fit any
car. Now virtually all are shaped, and if you crack one you have to get the
special part.

As rule however you are right. But we've got a powerful company with a
vested interest in making it more difficult to port programs between
platforms, pulling against a standard. Then the standards body has issued a
failed standard, and lost credibility. C89 is still the de facto standard,
but it is losing that status and C99 is not replacing it.

Chris Hills

CBFalconer said:
I tell you what I'll do. Send me a text (preferable) or PDF
version of the current MISRA specification, and I'll mount it on my
page (URL below) for free download. No charge. Do not fail to
include a suitable license. Limit line length to 67 for general
usability as quotation material. I'll probably mount it in a zip
with the license.

No problem just send the check for the production costs to incurred to
generate the material in the PDF....

8 people with four 2 day meetings per year for 5 years. (We pay our
own hotel bills so you only have to pay the day rate for the room and
food) then there is the other work amounting to some 20 days editing and
proof reading the document and the example code.

Then we have the typesetting and graphics.

This is without paying for our time......

So send the check and you can have the document.

BTW it is much the same with ISO standards and AFAIK virtually any other
standard. Are the IEEE standards free? Is Do178B free?

Chris Hills

Mark McIntyre said:
I think you're losing the plot. As things mature, they move TOWARDS
standardisation, not away from it.

But sadly not towards ISO C99
What we're probably moving towards is a new standard which includes a
raft of stuff currently excluded. This might for example include
networking (which is almost ubiquitous now, even on some embedded
hardware) and other stuff. I

I think you will find there is less rather than more in the then next
standard.

When you say networking I assume you mean CAN, I2C, LIN etc

Chris Hills

issued a failed standard, and lost credibility. C89 is still the de
facto standard, but it is losing that status and C99 is not replacing
it.

Actually C89 has not been the defacto standard since C90.

Most compilers went to A1 and the TC's when they came out in 91-95 so
C95 is the real standard and has been for about 12 years.

There is movement from C95 to C99 but not full C99 compliance.

¬

¬a\\/b

In data Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:29:41 +0100, Chris Hills scrisse:
[comp.lang.c,alt.lang.asm]
One of the leading..... I assume you mean MS. They in my view have
subverted the standard process for C, C++. C#, C++/CLI Whether that is
for good or ill remains to be seen.

What is "CLI"?

CBFalconer

Chris said:
No problem just send the check for the production costs to incurred
to generate the material in the PDF....

If all that is needed it indicates, to me, that you don't have a
published standard in the first place. We are not interested in
chimeras.

Chris Hills

"¬a\\/b" said:
In data Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:29:41 +0100, Chris Hills scrisse:
[comp.lang.c,alt.lang.asm]
One of the leading..... I assume you mean MS. They in my view have
subverted the standard process for C, C++. C#, C++/CLI Whether that is
for good or ill remains to be seen.

What is "CLI"?

AFAIK an MS thing. They have managed to create a "new" C++ C++/CLI
that is used in MS compilers that is nothing to do with ISOC++ but they
are fast tracking the C++/CLI standards through ECMA and then on to ISO
bypassing the usual ISO procedures for language standard as ECMA have a
fast trade route with ISO

Joe Wright

Chris said:
"¬a\\/b" said:
In data Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:29:41 +0100, Chris Hills scrisse:
[comp.lang.c,alt.lang.asm]
One of the leading..... I assume you mean MS. They in my view have
subverted the standard process for C, C++. C#, C++/CLI Whether that is
for good or ill remains to be seen.

What is "CLI"?

AFAIK an MS thing. They have managed to create a "new" C++ C++/CLI
that is used in MS compilers that is nothing to do with ISOC++ but they
are fast tracking the C++/CLI standards through ECMA and then on to ISO
bypassing the usual ISO procedures for language standard as ECMA have a
fast trade route with ISO

"CLI" is Command Line Interface when I read it.

[Jongware]

Joe Wright said:
Chris said:
"¬a\\/b" said:
In data Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:29:41 +0100, Chris Hills scrisse:
[comp.lang.c,alt.lang.asm]
One of the leading..... I assume you mean MS. They in my view have
subverted the standard process for C, C++. C#, C++/CLI Whether that is
for good or ill remains to be seen.

What is "CLI"?

AFAIK an MS thing. They have managed to create a "new" C++ C++/CLI
that is used in MS compilers that is nothing to do with ISOC++ but they
are fast tracking the C++/CLI standards through ECMA and then on to ISO
bypassing the usual ISO procedures for language standard as ECMA have a
fast trade route with ISO

"CLI" is Command Line Interface when I read it.

Perhaps MS (C)d that as well.

[Jw]

Chris Hills

Joe Wright said:
Chris said:
"¬a\\/b" said:
In data Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:29:41 +0100, Chris Hills scrisse:
[comp.lang.c,alt.lang.asm]
One of the leading..... I assume you mean MS. They in my view have
subverted the standard process for C, C++. C#, C++/CLI Whether that is
for good or ill remains to be seen.

What is "CLI"?
AFAIK an MS thing. They have managed to create a "new" C++ C++/CLI
that is used in MS compilers that is nothing to do with ISOC++ but
they are fast tracking the C++/CLI standards through ECMA and then on
to ISO bypassing the usual ISO procedures for language standard as
ECMA have a fast trade route with ISO

"CLI" is Command Line Interface when I read it.
Microsoft's CLI (Common Language Infrastructure).

Keith Thompson

Chris Hills said:
Actually C89 has not been the defacto standard since C90.

C89 and C90 are two distinct standard *documents*, but as far as I
know they define exactly the same language.

[...]

CBFalconer

Chris said:
Microsoft's CLI (Common Language Infrastructure).

In other words one more Microsoft effort to confuse the world and
spread FUD etc. Best ignored.

¬

¬a\\/b

In data Mon, 1 Oct 2007 11:33:09 +0100, Chris Hills scrisse:
"¬a\\/b" said:
In data Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:29:41 +0100, Chris Hills scrisse:
[comp.lang.c,alt.lang.asm]
One of the leading..... I assume you mean MS. They in my view have
subverted the standard process for C, C++. C#, C++/CLI Whether that is
for good or ill remains to be seen.

What is "CLI"?

AFAIK an MS thing. They have managed to create a "new" C++ C++/CLI
that is used in MS compilers that is nothing to do with ISOC++ but they
are fast tracking the C++/CLI standards through ECMA and then on to ISO
bypassing the usual ISO procedures for language standard as ECMA have a
fast trade route with ISO

yes yes :)
because i'm reading a new software book i had confuse it with CIL
"Common Intermediate Language" that seems to be the language of an
emulator of a CPU that allow .NET to run in multi plataform

Chris Hills

CBFalconer said:
In other words one more Microsoft effort to confuse the world and
spread FUD etc. Best ignored.

Yes.... Unless you are working on an MS platform. However what with the
current flurry of activity with Microsoft and ECMA they are making MS
the standard :-(

¬

¬a\\/b

"¬a\\/b" said:
In data Sun, 30 Sep 2007 14:29:41 +0100, Chris Hills scrisse:
[comp.lang.c,alt.lang.asm]
One of the leading..... I assume you mean MS. They in my view have
subverted the standard process for C, C++. C#, C++/CLI Whether that is
for good or ill remains to be seen.

What is "CLI"?

AFAIK an MS thing. They have managed to create a "new" C++ C++/CLI
that is used in MS compilers that is nothing to do with ISOC++ but they
are fast tracking the C++/CLI standards through ECMA and then on to ISO
bypassing the usual ISO procedures for language standard as ECMA have a
fast trade route with ISO

yes yes :)
because i'm reading a new software book i had confuse it with CIL
"Common Intermediate Language" that seems to be the language of an
emulator of a CPU that allow .NET to run in multi plataform

possibly no one has seen that code?

Chris Dollin

Chris said:
Yes.... Unless you are working on an MS platform. However what with the
current flurry of activity with Microsoft and ECMA they are making MS
the standard :-(

(fx:atopical)

That "flurry" started with the standardisation effort for C++ and the CLI,
and unless I've lost my marbles has been going on for about seven years.