compiling a source tree

Roedy Green

I have stared at the options, but I can see no way to get plain old
Javac.exe to compile a source tree without you explicitly listing all
the branches. Is this correct?

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Alan Krueger

Roedy said:
I have stared at the options, but I can see no way to get plain old
Javac.exe to compile a source tree without you explicitly listing all
the branches. Is this correct?

Searching Google Groups for "javac source tree" seems enlightening.

http://tinyurl.com/8lxal

Roedy Green

that advice does not work on two counts:

1. when I compile the root class, the other classes don't get compiled
because it is not the root class that is using them. It is other
packages. There is also some dynamic loading which further confuses.
I am also trying to keep different projects under different JDKs. It
screws things up if a compile of package B causes recompilation of
package A. I wonder if Ant will be any better at this than my stomp
bat scripts.

2. his scheme would not force recompilation for out of date class
file.

I guess it is ant time.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Joan

Roedy Green said:
I have stared at the options, but I can see no way to get plain old
Javac.exe to compile a source tree without you explicitly listing all
the branches. Is this correct?
Is that all you want? Where do you want the class files to be put?
In the same directory as the java files? In a central directory? In a
parallel branch with root name "bin"?
It isn't so hard to use Ant I think, then you have all the choices
available to you.

Roedy Green

Is that all you want? Where do you want the class files to be put?
In the same directory as the java files? In a central directory? In a
parallel branch with root name "bin"?
It isn't so hard to use Ant I think, then you have all the choices
available to you.

IT would be fine if they went back where they came from.

I have two different problems.

1. getting the build done for myself.

2. handing something simple over to novices to build that just uses
BAT files. This is for people just learning Java who download the
source that comes with everything I write.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Stefan Schulz

2. his scheme would not force recompilation for out of date class
file.

Normally, javac does check if a source file is available for a classfile,
and if it has a newer modification data, will recompile it.

Chris Head