Compiling perl on Solaris 10...bread crumb trail anyone?

Aftermath Fan

I need to compile perl on Solaris 10 (sparc v9 platform). Yes, I know
Solaris comes with a version of perl, but /usr/bin/perl on solaris 10
is (surprisingly) not compiled with full 64-bit flags:

use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef

The specific limitation is that it can't address more than 4GB of
memory, which is symptomatic of a 32-bit binary. I would like to
address more.

Unfortunately, my attempts to compile perl on Solaris 10 (using the
gcc in /usr/sfw/bin) have all been met with:

Use which C compiler? [gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/]
Assembler messages:
Error: invalid architecture -xarch=generic64
Uh-oh, the C compiler 'gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/' doesn't seem to be
working.

NOTE: You are using GNU as(1). GNU as(1) might not build Perl. If
you
have trouble, you can use /usr/ccs/bin/as by including -B/usr/ccs/bin/
in your gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/ command. (Note that the trailing "/" is
required.)

Assembler messages:
Error: invalid architecture -xarch=generic64
Uh-oh, the C compiler 'gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/' doesn't seem to be
working.
You need to find a working C compiler.
Either (purchase and) install the C compiler supplied by your OS
vendor,
or for a free C compiler try http://gcc.gnu.org/
I cannot continue any further, aborting.

This when using:

sh Configure -de -Duse64bitall \
-Dprefix=/export/home/mylogin \
-Dcc='gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/'

Same thing without the -B/usr/ccs/bin. Played around with the PATH
order of /usr/ccs/bin, /usr/sfw/bin, etc...to no avail.

I do not have root on this box. And no prospect of getting the Sun-
brand compiler purchased/loaded.

anyone have any bread crumb trail to follow?

Thanks,
-S.

Tony Curtis

Aftermath said:
I need to compile perl on Solaris 10 (sparc v9 platform). Yes, I know
Solaris comes with a version of perl, but /usr/bin/perl on solaris 10
is (surprisingly) not compiled with full 64-bit flags:

use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef

The specific limitation is that it can't address more than 4GB of
memory, which is symptomatic of a 32-bit binary. I would like to
address more.

Unfortunately, my attempts to compile perl on Solaris 10 (using the
gcc in /usr/sfw/bin) have all been met with:

Use which C compiler? [gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/]
Assembler messages:
Error: invalid architecture -xarch=generic64
Uh-oh, the C compiler 'gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/' doesn't seem to be
working.

That's a flag for the Studio compilers; gcc doesn't understand it. Why
not use Studio instead? More tuned...

http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/

hth