Compiling perl on Solaris 10...bread crumb trail anyone?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Aftermath Fan, Jul 27, 2007.

  1. I need to compile perl on Solaris 10 (sparc v9 platform). Yes, I know
    Solaris comes with a version of perl, but /usr/bin/perl on solaris 10
    is (surprisingly) not compiled with full 64-bit flags:

    use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef

    The specific limitation is that it can't address more than 4GB of
    memory, which is symptomatic of a 32-bit binary. I would like to
    address more.

    Unfortunately, my attempts to compile perl on Solaris 10 (using the
    gcc in /usr/sfw/bin) have all been met with:

    Use which C compiler? [gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/]
    Assembler messages:
    Error: invalid architecture -xarch=generic64
    Uh-oh, the C compiler 'gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/' doesn't seem to be
    working.

    NOTE: You are using GNU as(1). GNU as(1) might not build Perl. If
    you
    have trouble, you can use /usr/ccs/bin/as by including -B/usr/ccs/bin/
    in your gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/ command. (Note that the trailing "/" is
    required.)

    Assembler messages:
    Error: invalid architecture -xarch=generic64
    Uh-oh, the C compiler 'gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/' doesn't seem to be
    working.
    You need to find a working C compiler.
    Either (purchase and) install the C compiler supplied by your OS
    vendor,
    or for a free C compiler try http://gcc.gnu.org/
    I cannot continue any further, aborting.

    This when using:

    sh Configure -de -Duse64bitall \
    -Dprefix=/export/home/mylogin \
    -Dcc='gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/'

    Same thing without the -B/usr/ccs/bin. Played around with the PATH
    order of /usr/ccs/bin, /usr/sfw/bin, etc...to no avail.

    I do not have root on this box. And no prospect of getting the Sun-
    brand compiler purchased/loaded.

    anyone have any bread crumb trail to follow?

    Thanks,
    -S.

    Aftermath Fan, Jul 27, 2007

  2. Aftermath Fan

    Tony Curtis Guest

    Aftermath Fan wrote:
    > I need to compile perl on Solaris 10 (sparc v9 platform). Yes, I know
    > Solaris comes with a version of perl, but /usr/bin/perl on solaris 10
    > is (surprisingly) not compiled with full 64-bit flags:
    >
    > use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    >
    > The specific limitation is that it can't address more than 4GB of
    > memory, which is symptomatic of a 32-bit binary. I would like to
    > address more.
    >
    > Unfortunately, my attempts to compile perl on Solaris 10 (using the
    > gcc in /usr/sfw/bin) have all been met with:
    >

    > Use which C compiler? [gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/]
    > Assembler messages:
    > Error: invalid architecture -xarch=generic64
    > Uh-oh, the C compiler 'gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/' doesn't seem to be
    > working.

    That's a flag for the Studio compilers; gcc doesn't understand it. Why
    not use Studio instead? More tuned...

    http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/

    hth

    Tony Curtis, Jul 27, 2007