compiling python 2.3.4 with command line editing

enjoylife_95135

Hi,
I'm running RH9 on my laptop. It comes with the Python 2.2.2 RPM.
Its cool because when I run the interpreter, I can use command line
history.

I need to upgrade, so I downloaded and compiled Python 2.3.4. Very
cool, spiffy etc, but the interpreter doesn't allow for command line
editing, i.e. I can't type <ctrl-P> and go to the previous command.

How do I enable that?

Thanks!

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

enjoylife_95135 said:
I need to upgrade, so I downloaded and compiled Python 2.3.4. Very
cool, spiffy etc, but the interpreter doesn't allow for command line
editing, i.e. I can't type <ctrl-P> and go to the previous command.

How do I enable that?

Make sure the readline module is built. For that, you need to install
the readline header files, which are probably in the readline-dev
package.

Regards,
Martin

enjoylife_95135

Got it. As it turned out, I needed the readline-dev package *and* the
termcap-dev package. But command-line history works now, and I am warm
and happy.

Thanks!