    editing, i.e. I can't type <ctrl-P> and go to the previous command.

    How do I enable that?

    Thanks!

    enjoylife_95135, Aug 15, 2004

  2. enjoylife_95135 wrote:
    > I need to upgrade, so I downloaded and compiled Python 2.3.4. Very
    > cool, spiffy etc, but the interpreter doesn't allow for command line
    > editing, i.e. I can't type <ctrl-P> and go to the previous command.
    >
    > How do I enable that?

    Make sure the readline module is built. For that, you need to install
    the readline header files, which are probably in the readline-dev
    package.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Got it. As it turned out, I needed the readline-dev package *and* the
    termcap-dev package. But command-line history works now, and I am warm
    and happy.

    Thanks!

    enjoylife_95135, Aug 15, 2004