complicated

Discussion in 'Python' started by Martijn van den Branden, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Hi group,

    I would be very grateful if someone could give me some advice on
    reading material or point me in a direction to proceed, as the information
    I can find on the subject is kind of overwhelming to me. I'm not even
    sure where to look.

    My problem is the following: I have to create a GUI in win2k. For this, I
    thought Python
    would come in handy. And from what i've read (wxwindows and all), this
    should
    be quite straightforward. The user input will define a set of design
    parameters and
    design boundaries (for those interested, the design is a wing).

    Now comes the tricky part. Please read on :). The actual parametric design
    description
    resides in the ICAD Design Language (IDL), which is a superset of Allegro
    Common Lisp
    (ACL), running as a sub-process (or whatever it is called it i'm not sure)
    in Emacs.

    I would like to be able to instantiate a specific design from Python, i.e.
    feed parameters
    from Python to ACL and possibly running some analysis in IDL after which
    some
    response concerning the design is fed back to Python, after which Python
    decides to
    instantiate a new design, etc. etc.

    I would like to avoid starting up and closing down ICAD for each
    instantiation from
    Python, though it is the only way I can think of.

    (Any other way would involve setting up some interface which is probably an
    advanced programming problem?).

    Thanks in advance for your anwers,

    Martijn
    Martijn van den Branden, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Martijn van den Branden

    Lee Harr Guest

    > My problem is the following: I have to create a GUI in win2k. For this, I
    > thought Python
    > would come in handy. And from what i've read (wxwindows and all), this
    > should
    > be quite straightforward. The user input will define a set of design
    > parameters and
    > design boundaries (for those interested, the design is a wing).
    >
    > Now comes the tricky part. Please read on :). The actual parametric design
    > description
    > resides in the ICAD Design Language (IDL), which is a superset of Allegro
    > Common Lisp
    > (ACL), running as a sub-process (or whatever it is called it i'm not sure)
    > in Emacs.
    >
    > I would like to be able to instantiate a specific design from Python, i.e.
    > feed parameters
    > from Python to ACL and possibly running some analysis in IDL after which
    > some
    > response concerning the design is fed back to Python, after which Python
    > decides to
    > instantiate a new design, etc. etc.
    >
    > I would like to avoid starting up and closing down ICAD for each
    > instantiation from
    > Python, though it is the only way I can think of.

    This sounds more like an ICAD question than a python question. For instance,
    how would you do the same thing from say C, C++, perl, or VB?

    My recommendation is to break it down in to smaller pieces until you can
    get a handle on exactly what it is that you need to do. You may want to
    look in the ICAD documentation (or even generally) for "interprocess
    communincation" or IPC or xml-rpc.
    Lee Harr, Oct 16, 2003