Component for logging timestamps - Need guidance from Gurus

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chumma Dede, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. Chumma Dede

    Chumma Dede Guest

    Hi,

    I need to code a DLL in .NET which logs the response times for our asp.net
    multi-tier application. The problem is we need to log the timestamps at
    multiple stages in a process lifecycle roundtrip without too much overhead.

    We have two webservers which are load balanced and the back end tiers
    include Biztalk and several remoting components all of which should ideally
    use this same dll for logging timestamps in a central location in the
    network. We have AICs in Biztalk where we can insert the component.

    So my question is, Is there some readymade component already out there for
    this? Maybe an Microsoft application block?
    If not, are there any guidelines to follow when building such a dll?

    .. Should I log the timestamps in a database table, or is it better to log in
    text files?
    .. The class should be a static class so it does not have to be instantiated.
    .. Make the call to the 'logger' asynchronous. Or should I always call it in
    a new thread?
    .. Any other considerations?

    Our website is a high-volume, highly available, 24/7 environment so this
    should have the least bit of overhead to the main web application.

    Looking forward to any suggestions/comments.

    Thanks!
    Chumma Dede

    Chumma Dede, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Chumma Dede

    Scott Allen Guest

    I'd suggest you take a look at a couple open source logging
    components: Enterprise Library [1] (includes a logging /
    instrumentation block) and log4net [2].

    I did an article on OdeToCode highlighting some areas you'll want to
    consider during design [3]. Ideally, any logging framework will be
    configurable enough to use different destinations, depending on your
    need. For instance, it's nice to log response times into a database
    for day to day operational monitoring, but the day might also come
    when it would be great to change a web.config setting and see verbose
    tracing information for troublshooting written to a log file on disk.

    [1]
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/entlib.asp

    [2] http://logging.apache.org/log4net/

    [3] http://odetocode.com/Articles/294.aspx

    HTH,

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Feb 10, 2005

  3. Chumma Dede

    Chumma Dede Guest

    Thanks alot!! I will look into the links you gave me.

    Chumma Dede, Feb 11, 2005