Concept for plotting points on web page

Carl Gilbert

Hi

I am looking for a technique to allow a viewer of a web page to plot a
series of points on a web page. I would like to display an image on the
page and then allow the user to zoom in/out of the image and then click
about 4 or 5 points and then submit these points back to the server.

I have tried using draggable divs and some Javascript to allow the
positioning of transparent gif cursors over the image but I'm not too sure
if this is the right approach.

Has anyone got any ideas on the best method to use?

Regards, Carl Gilbert

Note: I have some experience with ASP.NET, lots with VB.NET and almost
none with Javascript.

Randy Webb

Carl said:
Hi

I am looking for a technique to allow a viewer of a web page to plot a
series of points on a web page. I would like to display an image on the
page and then allow the user to zoom in/out of the image and then click
about 4 or 5 points and then submit these points back to the server.

Sounds like you want more than just points in the document. You want
points on an image. To do that you would have to keep track of the
zooming of the image, and where it was clicked at and the clipping
effect (if any) that has taken place. Then submit it back to the server
and let the server determine where in the image was clicked. Or, use an
image map that had a separate map for each pixel. Nasty just thinking
about that one.
Note: I have some experience with ASP.NET, lots with VB.NET and almost
none with Javascript.

Forget just about anything you know from *.NET because it's inapplicable
in client side scripting. About the only thing it might help with is
basic constructions of functions, flow and what not.