    line in case it doesn't fit into the line? Something like a conditional
    break?

    Thanks
    Armin, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Armin

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Armin" <> wrote:

    >is there an html tag to tell the browser where to break a word into the next
    >line in case it doesn't fit into the line? Something like a conditional
    >break?

    According to some people this is what the soft hyphen &shy; is for.
    But matters are muddied by conflicting specs and confused browser
    support. Have a read of http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/shy.html and
    dispair.

    An alternative is the non-standard <wbr> element.
    http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/w/wbr.htm

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jul 29, 2004

  3. While the city slept, Steve Pugh () feverishly typed...

    > "Armin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> is there an html tag to tell the browser where to break a word into
    >> the next line in case it doesn't fit into the line? Something like a
    >> conditional break?

    > According to some people this is what the soft hyphen &shy; is for. [...]

    Is there a &bashful; as well? ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --