Configuration Error Message

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Albert Frausto, Jan 27, 2010.

  1. Hello. I have a simple Hello-World.aspx webpage that I've uploaded on Windows
    2003 Server with .NET Framework 2.0.50727. When I try to access the
    application from the browser on the web server I get the following web error:

    Configuration Error

    Parser Error Message: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Failed
    to start monitoring changes to 'd:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config' because access
    is denied.

    Source Error:

    [No relevant source lines]

    Source File: d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config Line: 0

    The Application event log on the server shows the following:

    Event code: 3008
    Event message: A configuration error has occurred.
    Event time: 1/26/2010 10:07:24 AM
    Event time (UTC): 1/26/2010 6:07:24 PM
    Event ID: 0a7a285d1dc442f2beae9eb280e790d2
    Event sequence: 1
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

    Application information:

    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/cms-apps/soecs-6-129090028445040279
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /cms-apps/soecs
    Application Path: d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs\
    Machine name: IISSTAGE

    Process information:

    Process ID: 4244
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

    Exception information:

    Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException
    Exception message: An error occurred loading a configuration file:
    Failed to start monitoring changes to 'd:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config' because
    access is denied. (d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config)

    Request information:

    Request URL: http://iisstage/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx
    Request path: /cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx
    User host address: 99.99.99.99
    User:
    Is authenticated: False
    Authentication Type:

    I've added the NETWORK SERVICE account to /cms/seocs root and gave it full
    control. As well, I gave the ASP.NET group modify rights to the folder. But
    that did not make a difference.

    The odd thing about it is that there is no web.config file at
    d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config. Does there need to be one?

    Thanks for you assistance with this.
    Albert Frausto, Jan 27, 2010

  2. On Jan 26, 9:16 pm, Albert Frausto
    <> wrote:
    > I've added the NETWORK SERVICE account to /cms/seocs root and gave it full
    > control. As well, I gave the ASP.NET group modify rights to the folder. But
    > that did not make a difference.
    >
    > The odd thing about it is that there is no web.config file at
    > d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config. Does there need to be one?
    >
    > Thanks for you assistance with this.

    Hi Albert,

    ASP.NET requires read, execute, and list access for the NETWORK
    SERVICE account on the root Web site or on any virtual directory. Did
    you add access for the main "/" root?

    More at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316721/

    Hope this helps.
    Alexey Smirnov, Jan 27, 2010

  3. Alexey,

    Thanks for the help.

    I did as you instructed but I'm still getting the same error message. Does
    there need to be a web.config file in the root directory
    (d:\inetpub\wwwroot\) ?

    Thanks,
    Albert

    Albert Frausto, Jan 28, 2010
  4. On Jan 28, 11:00 pm, Albert Frausto
    <> wrote:
    > Alexey,
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > I did as you instructed but I'm still getting the same error message. Does
    > there need to be a web.config file in the root directory
    > (d:\inetpub\wwwroot\) ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Albert
    >

    > "Alexey Smirnov" wrote:
    > > On Jan 26, 9:16 pm, Albert Frausto
    > > <> wrote:
    > > > I've added the NETWORK SERVICE account to /cms/seocs root and gave it full
    > > > control. As well, I gave the ASP.NET group modify rights to the folder. But
    > > > that did not make a difference.

    > > > The odd thing about it is that there is no web.config file at
    > > > d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config. Does there need to be one?

    > > > Thanks for you assistance with this.

    > > Hi Albert,

    > > ASP.NET requires read, execute, and list access for the NETWORK
    > > SERVICE account on the root Web site or on any virtual directory. Did
    > > you add access for the main "/" root?

    > > More at:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316721/

    > > Hope this helps.

    No, it's not required.

    I tried to test your configuration. I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot and
    located default.aspx in it

    ----------------
    <%@Page%>
    <%=DateTime.Now.ToString()%>
    ----------------

    http://localhost/default.aspx -- it works

    Then I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs and located
    default.aspx in it

    http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx -- it works

    After that, I went to IIS, selected website/cms-apps/soecs, Properties
    and created new application

    http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx -- it works

    So, I does not required any web.config in the root directory.

    Try to follow my example and create new directories and see in what
    step it stops working.

    Hope this helps.
    Alexey Smirnov, Jan 29, 2010
  5. Hello Alexey,

    I haven’t had any luck. The permissions appear to be the same. I even
    tried giving the Everyone group “Full Control†again just to try to rule out
    permissions. I’m not sure why the wwwroot works but wwwroot\cms-apps\seocs
    doesn’t? I’m still seeing the following error in the event logs even though
    I’ve given Network Service full control of the directory:

    Event message: A configuration error has occurred.
    Event time: 1/29/2010 2:09:27 PM
    Event time (UTC): 1/29/2010 10:09:27 PM
    Event ID: a7ab1e6bd52c4505a66de1b8156745ac
    Event sequence: 1
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

    Application information:

    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/cms-apps/seocs-6-29092765676908591
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /cms-apps/seocs
    Application Path: d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\seocs\
    Machine name: IISSTAGE

    Process information:
    Process ID: 2388
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

    Exception information:
    Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException
    Exception message: An error occurred loading a configuration file:
    Failed to start monitoring changes to
    'd:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\web.config' because access is denied.
    (d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\web.config)

    Request information:
    Request URL: http://iisstage.pacific.edu/cms-apps/seocs/default.aspx
    Request path: /cms-apps/seocs/default.aspx
    User host address: 10.10.4.35
    User:
    Is authenticated: False
    Authentication Type:
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

    Thread information:
    Thread ID: 5
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace: at
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags)

    Custom event details:

    Albert Frausto, Feb 3, 2010
  6. On Feb 3, 10:19 pm, Albert Frausto
    <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Albert

    > > No, it's not required.

    > > I tried to test your configuration. I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot and
    > > located default.aspx in it

    > > ----------------
    > > <%@Page%>
    > > <%=DateTime.Now.ToString()%>
    > > ----------------

    > >http://localhost/default.aspx-- it works

    > > Then I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs and located
    > > default.aspx in it

    > >http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx-- it works

    > > After that, I went to IIS, selected website/cms-apps/soecs, Properties
    > > and created new application

    > >http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx-- it works

    > > So, I does not required any web.config in the root directory.

    > > Try to follow my example and create new directories and see in what

    Why did the error message change? It was about

    Failed to start monitoring changes to 'd:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config'

    Now it is

    d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\web.config
    Alexey Smirnov, Feb 3, 2010
  7. Hello Alexey,

    The reason for the change in error message is because when we first placed
    the default.aspx file (the one in cms-apps\seocs) file in the wwwroot\
    directory and browsed the page at http://www.domainname.com/default.aspx we
    received no errors. Initially, we were receiving the error message at this
    point, but it was resolved.

    It's only when we moved the default.aspx page to wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs\
    that we received the change in the error message.

    And in both scenarios there were no web.config files. Just fyi, cms-apps is
    not a virtual directory.

    Thanks,
    Albert

    Albert Frausto, Feb 17, 2010
  8. Albert Frausto

    james Guest

    Hi,

    Even I have faced the same issue. I have added

    IIS-Resource-ASPNET
    NETWORK SERVICE users to wwwroot folder with below permissions and its worked for me.

    1) Read & Execute
    2) List Floder Contents
    3) Read

    Regards,
    Srini

    Albert Frausto wrote:

    Hello Alexey,The reason for the change in error message is because when we
    17-Feb-10

    Hello Alexey,

    The reason for the change in error message is because when we first placed
    the default.aspx file (the one in cms-apps\seocs) file in the wwwroot\
    directory and browsed the page at http://www.domainname.com/default.aspx we
    received no errors. Initially, we were receiving the error message at this
    point, but it was resolved.

    it is only when we moved the default.aspx page to wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs\
    that we received the change in the error message.

    And in both scenarios there were no web.config files. Just fyi, cms-apps is
    not a virtual directory.

    Thanks,
    Albert

    More Fun with Fluent NHibernate Automapping
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...9-81ee42171b00/more-fun-with-fluent-nhib.aspx
    james, Mar 3, 2010
  9. On Feb 17, 5:43 pm, Albert Frausto
    <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > > Request information:
    > > >     Request URL:http://iisstage.pacific.edu/cms-apps/seocs/default.aspx
    > > >     Request path: /cms-apps/seocs/default.aspx
    > > >     User host address: 10.10.4.35
    > > >     User:
    > > >     Is authenticated: False
    > > >     Authentication Type:
    > > >     Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

    > > > Thread information:
    > > >     Thread ID: 5
    > > >     Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    > > >     Is impersonating: False
    > > >     Stack trace:    at
    > > > System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironmentFlags hostingFlags)

    > > > Custom event details:
    > > > For more information, see Help and Support Center athttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    > > Why did the error message change? It was about

    > > Failed to start monitoring changes to 'd:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config'

    Hi Albert, did you fix this already?
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 3, 2010