./configure

Janet Heath

Hi,

I am trying to run the ./configure but I keep getting this:

configure:2756: checking for --enable-universalsdk
configure:2797: result: no
configure:2806: checking for --with-universal-archs
configure:2823: result: 32-bit
configure:2980: checking MACHDEP
configure:3129: result: darwin
configure:3135: checking EXTRAPLATDIR
configure:3150: result: $(PLATMACDIRS)
configure:3161: checking machine type as reported by uname -m
configure:3164: result: x86_64
configure:3177: checking for --without-gcc
configure:3221: result: no
configure:3282: checking for gcc
configure:3312: result: no
configure:3375: checking for cc
configure:3422: result: no
configure:3478: checking for cl.exe
configure:3508: result: no
configure:3532: error: in `/usr/bin/Python-2.7.3':
configure:3534: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details

I can't seem to figure out the 2 errors at the bottom. Any suggestions?

Janet

[...]

I am trying to install Python-2.7.3.

Alain Ketterlin

[...]
configure:3161: checking machine type as reported by uname -m
configure:3164: result: x86_64
configure:3177: checking for --without-gcc
configure:3221: result: no
configure:3282: checking for gcc
configure:3312: result: no
configure:3375: checking for cc
configure:3422: result: no
configure:3478: checking for cl.exe
configure:3508: result: no
configure:3532: error: in `/usr/bin/Python-2.7.3':
configure:3534: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details

I can't seem to figure out the 2 errors at the bottom. Any suggestions?

It looks like you have no C compiler (if you have one, configure can't
find it in the obvious way). You need a C compiler to compile python.
You should first install a C compiler.

But are you sure you need to compile python? Isn't there a binary
package available for your platform?

-- Alain.

[...]

Thanks Alain. I should have a compiler on my Mac OS X Lion. I am thinking that it isn't set in my $PATH variable. I don't know where the $PATH is set at. I will check to see if their is a binary.

Steven D'Aprano

Thanks Alain. I should have a compiler on my Mac OS X Lion. I am
thinking that it isn't set in my $PATH variable. I don't know where the
$PATH is set at. I will check to see if their is a binary.

At the command line, run:

echo $PATH

to see the path.

I'm not sure where OS X sets the PATH, but Linux systems normally set
them in /etc/profile. User-customisations should go in a shell rc file,
e.g. if you are using bash, edit ~/.bashrc.

To add additional paths to the PATH:

export $PATH=$PATH:/some/directory:/another/directory

To replace the system path completely:

export $PATH=/some/directory:/another/directory

Janet Heath

At the command line, run:

echo $PATH

to see the path.

I'm not sure where OS X sets the PATH, but Linux systems normally set
them in /etc/profile. User-customisations should go in a shell rc file,
e.g. if you are using bash, edit ~/.bashrc.

To add additional paths to the PATH:

export $PATH=$PATH:/some/directory:/another/directory

To replace the system path completely:

export $PATH=/some/directory:/another/directory

Thanks Steven!

Irmen de Jong

Thanks Alain. I should have a compiler on my Mac OS X Lion. I am thinking that it
isn't set in my $PATH variable. I don't know where the $PATH is set at. I will
check to see if their is a binary.

You'll have to have the Apple Developer tools (xcode) installed to get a c-compiler, but
maybe that's the case on your mac already. (Weird though, it should add gcc -the
compiler- to the PATH by itself, I don't recall having to change that myself.)

In any case, there is a .dmg with a binary installer for Python 2.7.3 available for
download at python.org [1] so there should not really be a need to compile it yourself.
If you really do need to compile it yourself, consider using Homebrew [2] to install it,
instead of downloading the source and compiling it manually. With homebrew it's a simple
'brew install python' and a few minutes later it's done. It will be lot easier to
install 3rd party library dependencies this way too.

Irmen.

[1] http://python.org/download/releases/2.7.3/
[2] http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/