Confusion with Eclipse

Barsum

Beeing a happy Netbeans user for 3 years, I decided to give Eclipse a
shot. The tool seems cool. But I find it a bit hard to fix the small
problems that allways appears when getting to know a new tool. It seems
the docs are less professional than Netbeans (just like SWT javadocs
compared to Swings) How come, for instance, it's impossible to find ONE
page describing ALL the keyboard shortcuts?!

Well it may be that I only needs some guidance, so here goes:

- I can't get auto-completion-help to function correct within my own
project. If I place the mouse on top of an SWT class or method in one
of the swt example projects, a tooltip appears with javadoc. If I do
the same in my own project, it only works on my own classes/methods.
I've added swt.jar as an external jar, to my project and also set "Java
doc in archive" and pointed to the right directory. (This enables me to
press ctrl + f2 on a class to get javadoc in external browser, but none
in the internal tooltip?!)

- How do I set bookmarks, and jump between them? (keyboard shortcuts)
That's all for now...

Thanks in advance,

Barsum

worzel

Netbeans is infinitely better than Eclipse - my bet is you can sense that
much already.
Sorry, nothing to contribute other than to say stick with Netbeans!

Tom Dyess

Barsum said:
[...]

I'm afraid the bookmarks are in the style of right click, name the bookmark,
then see it in the bookmarks file. I don't particularly care for it because
I come from Delphi which is ctrl 0-9 for bookmarks per unit. If anyone konws
how to add this functionality to Eclipse, I'm all ears.

I'd like to hear some of the benefits of netbeans. I use Eclipse, but am
open to other alternatives. Does netbeans have the plugin support that
Eclipse does?

karlheinz klingbeil

worzel schrub am Mittwoch, 12. Januar 2005 05:47
folgendes:
Netbeans is infinitely better than Eclipse - my bet
is you can sense that much already.
Sorry, nothing to contribute other than to say stick
with Netbeans!

Well, this is your opinion... I have used both Netbeans
and Eclipse and I have nothing to contribute other
than to say if you are a beginner or your projects
aren't particularly large (< 100-150) Files, stick to
Netbeans. If you have large projects to maintain, use
Eclipse....

mikenereson

karlheinz said:
worzel schrub am Mittwoch, 12. Januar 2005 05:47
folgendes:

Well, this is your opinion... I have used both Netbeans
and Eclipse and I have nothing to contribute other
than to say if you are a beginner or your projects
aren't particularly large (< 100-150) Files, stick to
Netbeans. If you have large projects to maintain, use
Eclipse....

mikenereson

I dont think Netbeans has plugins. Eclipse is all open source, net
beans is not.

hilz

I dont think Netbeans has plugins. Eclipse is all open source, net
beans is not.
Netbeans DOES have plugins, and Netbeans IS open source. It is just that it
uses some other open source libraries that have binary agreements. but it IS
open source. In other words, it is free as in beer as opposed to free as in
freedom. (whatever that means!)

thank
hilz

Nitin Dahyabhai

Tom said:
I'm afraid the bookmarks are in the style of right click, name the bookmark,
then see it in the bookmarks file. I don't particularly care for it because
I come from Delphi which is ctrl 0-9 for bookmarks per unit. If anyone konws
how to add this functionality to Eclipse, I'm all ears.

Actually, in 3.0.x it's a Bookmarks view and it applies to
everything in the workspace. In supporting editors (like the Java
editor), check the Navigate menu for Next and Previous Annotation
actions. You'll see those actions also on the toolbar with a drop
down menu to configure what they'll navigate to. After you turn on
Bookmarks, Ctrl+, and Ctrl+. will zoom you around for however many
bookmarks you've set. 3.1 will make this more prevalent.