    a. Do I need jdk 1.7 for EE or SE will do. I do not know what is the difference. All I am interested is in developing Aix 2 web services which will be hosted in Apache Tom Cat.

    b. I do not know the difference in Java EE and SE as for as Web Services are concerned. I am not interested in HTML 5, Java FX etc.

    , Jun 26, 2013

    On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:02:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
    > I have downloads ECLIPSE IDE for JAVA EE Developers - version 4.2 x64 forWindow s64 I have installed jdk 1.7 which I downloaded from Oracle's web site I am going to download Apache Tomcat 7.x also. My questions are: a. Do I need jdk 1.7 for EE or SE will do. I do not know what is the difference. All I am interested is in developing Aix 2 web services which will be hosted in Apache Tom Cat. b. I do not know the difference in Java EE and SE as for as Web Services are concerned. I am not interested in HTML 5, Java FX etc.

    I will not be creating any app servers, will not use multi-tiered java applications.

    All I will be doing is developing web services using Elipse Java IDE EE which will be installaed in Apacahe Tomact 2. I preusme Java IDE Ee alreday has Axis 2, elase I will hav eto install that as well.

    , Jun 26, 2013

  3. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    > I have downloads ECLIPSE IDE for JAVA EE Developers - version 4.2 x64 for Window s64
    >
    > I have installed jdk 1.7 which I downloaded from Oracle's web site
    >
    > I am going to download Apache Tomcat 7.x also.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > a. Do I need jdk 1.7 for EE or SE will do. I do not know what is the

    JDK is Java SE. It is the basis for all Java EE products, such as Glassfish and
    Tomcat. Java EE is not a product by itself, but a set of specifications.

    > difference. All I am interested is in developing Aix 2 web services which
    > will be hosted in Apache Tom Cat.

    The difference is explained on the Oracle website.

    Java SE is a product. Java EE is a set of specifications which various
    products might implement, build on top of Java.

    > b. I do not know the difference in Java EE and SE as for as Web Services are concerned. I am not interested in HTML 5, Java FX etc.

    Again, read the documentation.

    Did you?

    What parts of it were not clear?

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Jun 26, 2013

    Lew:

    Thanks a lot, in partcular clarifying that JAVA EE is a specification and not a product.

    I recently attended JAVA 7 EE virtual web cof oranized by Oracle and i talked about HTML5 etc; so was not sure whethere they weher included jdk 1.7 SEwhich I downloaded from Oracle's web siteOn Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:02:28 AM UTC-4, wrote: > I have downloads ECLIPSE IDE for JAVA EE Developers - version 4.2 x64 for Window s64 I have installed jdk 1.7which I downloaded from Oracle's web site I am going to download Apache Tomcat 7.x also. My questions are: a. Do I need jdk 1.7 for EE or SE will do.I do not know what is the difference. All I am interested is in developingAix 2 web services which will be hosted in Apache Tom Cat. b. I do not know the difference in Java EE and SE as for as Web Services are concerned. I am not interested in HTML 5, Java FX etc.

    , Jun 26, 2013