Getting started Web services

santosh1984naidu

I have a application which works on java struts and i am using apache-
tomcat-5.5.23 as the container, database is MS sql 2000.
I have to develop a web service, so that a 3rd party application can
use my application.
Now when I login in to my application, it is been directly
compared with the data in database and then it proceeds. For getting
started in web service,the first thing I have to achieve is,when
somebody logs in , the username and password should go to the web
service and from there to database and then back in the same way.
Being a new to this technology, this is what i want to achieve,
further it has to be extended to
3rd party application.
So please let me know, how should I start.
Thanks