Connect to a cbase program running on Linux from WinXP

Stylus277

Hello,

I am working with a client that has an old Linux server with a custom
cbase program. The server has been humming along since 1989, with the
exception of a HDD fail in 1994, which was replaced restored from tape.
The uptime on this beast is like 12 years and counting.

Just this week the last linux terminal was replaced with a new Dell
running XP Pro. The client wants to keep the software but wants the
space where the server fits for a desk and a Windows workstation.

Currently no server is in place, just some peer to peer workstations. I
am not exactly sure what the old network was, the wiring looks to be
CAT3, the server has the cable still connected to a serial port through
a serial / RJ45 adapter.

My logic is I need to put a network card in the linux box to get it on
to the new 10/100 TCP/IP network. Then if I can run some sort of linux
based terminal services I could connect to the old software package.

Other options include convert the database to something more
compatable, or run cbase on a windows box. I don't know anything about
"cbase", so I am looking for advice on where to go with this.

I called a buddy that is supposed to be a database expert and he said I
wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Any help or direction will be much appriciated.
Thanks

Larry I Smith

Stylus277 said:
[...]

This is a C++ Language newsgroup, networking, Linux, WinXP, etc
are off-topic here.

Try the newsgroup:

comp.os.linux.development.system

Regards,
Larry

Jack Klein

Hello,

I am working with a client that has an old Linux server with a custom
cbase program. The server has been humming along since 1989, with the
exception of a HDD fail in 1994, which was replaced restored from tape.
The uptime on this beast is like 12 years and counting.

In addition to being off-topic, as others have pointed out, you have
been misinformed. Linux did not exist in 1989.

Alex Buell

I am working with a client that has an old Linux server with a custom
cbase program. The server has been humming along since 1989, with the
exception of a HDD fail in 1994, which was replaced restored from tape.
The uptime on this beast is like 12 years and counting.

Troll. Go away.