Connection Leak!!!!.

sk.rasheedfarhan

Hi,
I have troubles with a threaded application on W2003 server. It
seems to leave open connections behind time to time, it sums to
hundreds over a day (the application make thousands). It is using the
SQLOLEDB provider, MDAC 2.82.1830.0, SQL Server 8.00.2039 (SP4),
Windows 5.2 (3790).

I am using same connection string for all connections and Using Multi
threading. and I written code in C++.

most of them are saying i am not closing the connection properly so
here i am giving my code snippet.
Connection String:
{"Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=localhost;Initial
Catalog=master;Integrated Security=SSPI;"}
For Connection Open::
try
{
//cleanup any existing open items
CloseDatabase();

//Open Connection
hres = m_pConnection.CreateInstance(
__uuidof(Connection) );
if( hres == S_OK )
{
hres = m_pConnection->Open(
m_strConnectionString.c_str());
if( hres == S_OK )
{
//Open recordset
hres =
m_pRecordset.CreateInstance( __uuidof(Recordset) );
if( hres == S_OK )
{
bRet = true;
}
else
{
Print
("CADOBase::CreateInstance, Creating Recordset failed
hr=%X\n"), hres
);

//m_pRecordset.Release();
else
{Print("CADOBase::CreateInstance, Open failed hr=%X\n"), hres );
else
{
Print("CADOBase::CreateInstance, Creating connection failed
hr=%X\n"),
hres );
catch(_com_error e)
{
Print("CADOBase::CreateInstance, Exception caught Error
- %X.\n"),
e.Error());
}
catch(...)
{
Print("CADOBase::CreateInstance, Unknown Exception
caught hr=%X\n"),
hres );
}
return bRet;

}

***************************************************************************­*****

For Closing:::::
try
{
if(m_pRecordset)
{
if(m_pRecordset->GetState() == adStateOpen)
{
m_pRecordset->Close();
}
m_pRecordset = NULL;
}

if(m_pConnection)
{
if(m_pConnection->GetState() == adStateOpen)
{
m_pConnection->Close();
}
m_pConnection = NULL;
catch(_com_error e)
{
Print"CADOBase::CloseDatabase, Exception caught for table Error
-
%X.\n"), e.Error());
}
catch(...)
{
Print("CADOBase::CloseDatabase,Unknown Exception caught for
table
moving on...\n"));

Salt_Peter

[...]

Sorry, but your question has nothing to do with C++ whatsoever.
[OT]
Note that most libraries, including tcp/ip sockets, require a
predefined set of steps to close() a connection. Whether those
requirements are satisfied here is not something governed by this
language in any way. The same goes with threads. I'ld suggest either
consulting the relevant documentation or perhaps post to a relevant
newsgroup.

Jack Klein

Hi,
I have troubles with a threaded application on W2003 server. It
seems to leave open connections behind time to time, it sums to
hundreds over a day (the application make thousands). It is using the
SQLOLEDB provider, MDAC 2.82.1830.0, SQL Server 8.00.2039 (SP4),
Windows 5.2 (3790).

I am using same connection string for all connections and Using Multi
threading. and I written code in C++.

most of them are saying i am not closing the connection properly so
here i am giving my code snippet.
Connection String:
{"Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=localhost;Initial

[snip]

W2003 server, threads, connections, and SQL Server are all off-topic
here, since none of them are part of the C++ language.

You need to ask in either a Windows programming group like
or a database group.