controlling devices through computers

yadavindrian01

Hi everybody

I am a student of computer engg. I have to make a project -
controlling devices through computer using parallel port. I know
necessary details of the parallel port.

Please guide me. also tell me if can i use VB as front end and C++ as
the coding language and how.

Regards
Manjeet

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
I am a student of computer engg. I have to make a project -
controlling devices through computer using parallel port. I know
necessary details of the parallel port.

Please guide me. also tell me if can i use VB as front end and C++ as
the coding language and how.

Assuming that the above means you're focused squarely on "computer = PC" then
there are essentially three approaches: (1) get hold of a 12 to 15 year old PC
running MS-DOS or other non-protected OS, or (2) invest in LabView or similar
software for a modern PC, or (3) for a modern PC use some existing library (C
or C++ library, language-independent ActiveX control, whatever).

Perhaps e.g. LabView is coded in C++, but I'm fairly sure it's beyond your
current abilities to do that sort of thing in C++ in modern Windows or Linux:
you need to choose one of the three approaches outlined above, or perhaps
something I haven't thought of.

XFUT: [comp.programming] (this is off-topic in [comp.lang.c++])

Karl Heinz Buchegger

Hi everybody

I am a student of computer engg. I have to make a project -
controlling devices through computer using parallel port. I know
necessary details of the parallel port.

Please guide me. also tell me if can i use VB as front end and C++ as
the coding language and how.

You are asking in the wrong newsgroup.
Controlling hardware is completely out of scope of *standard*
C++. The only thing discussed in this newsgroup is *standard*
C++, thus your request is completely off-topic.

Note: This doesn't mean that it can't be done, it just means, that
we don't discuss it (for good reasons) in this newsgroup.

Ioannis Vranos

Hi everybody

I am a student of computer engg. I have to make a project -
controlling devices through computer using parallel port. I know
necessary details of the parallel port.

Please guide me. also tell me if can i use VB as front end and C++ as
the coding language and how.

Regards
Manjeet

This is off topic in clc++, regarding vc++ you should ask in
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc.

If it doesn't appear in your news server use the public MS newserver:

msnews.microsoft.com

If the project is done with VS 2003, there is no need to use VB at all.