Controlling page margins

Russell Campbell

I need to control the page margins when the user prints the page from the
browser. It looked like the @page CSS2 command would do it, but it doesn't
seem to work in IE 6. Perhaps that's because IE 6 does not handle CSS2 (I'm
not sure if it doesn't handle it at all or just doesn't handle it well). Or
perhaps the margins that can be controlled via @page are not the printer
margins. Basically the printer uses about a half-inch margin and I need to
go to 1/4 inch or so. Can this be done via HTML, CSS, or JavaScript?

Russell Campbell

Russell Campbell

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid that. I'm still trying to figure out if CSS2
can do it.

David Dorward

Russell Campbell wrote:

Please don't top post.
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid that. I'm still trying to figure out if
CSS2 can do it.

CSS 2 can. IE doesn't support that bit of CSS 2.

Russell Campbell

CSS 2 can. IE doesn't support that bit of CSS 2

I was kind of thinking that . . .

I don't know what you're talking about.

Nikita the Spider

"Russell Campbell said:
I need to control the page margins when the user prints the page from the
browser. It looked like the @page CSS2 command would do it, but it doesn't
seem to work in IE 6. Perhaps that's because IE 6 does not handle CSS2 (I'm
not sure if it doesn't handle it at all or just doesn't handle it well). Or
perhaps the margins that can be controlled via @page are not the printer
margins. Basically the printer uses about a half-inch margin and I need to
go to 1/4 inch or so. Can this be done via HTML, CSS, or JavaScript?

Hi Russell,
Have you tried this?

@media print {
body {
margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
width: 100%;

Russell Campbell

It appears you did not see my other reply where I realized what David meant.
At first, I was thinking he was accusing me of modifying my system date to
make sure my post appeared at the top of the list, then I realized what he
meant.

It's interesting how people want to dictate how you post because that's the
way they post. One thing I've noticed in many years on the Web is that
there are many preferences on this issue and it's kind of silly to try to
make people post the way you want them to. Why is your way correct and mine
not? In my experience, most people "top post", but switch to "mixed
posting" (to make up a term meaning quote/reply/quote/reply etc.) when the
original post is long and contains many points (I do this sometimes). In
quite a number of different forums I find that top posting and mixed posting
are most prevelent, with "bottom posting" being used (but IMHO it's the most
irritating). I think you have to allow for people to post the way they want
to. It's irritating when people jump on this issue in such a small minor
post as this was. At least in a longer submission I could understand the
desire for mixed posting, but in this little thread they need everything
requoted? I sure don't understand why. Really . . . you can't dictate
people's styles. Sorry if you don't like it, but I live with other people's
posting styles and resist lecturing, so why can't you (granted, you weren't
the one that told me how to post, but you did chime in). I do have to
resist the temptation to request a certain style when people bottom post.
When the orginal post was long, it's really irritating to have to constantly
scroll down to see the latest response, especially as it gets copied with
replies and the latest reply is way down the page. An in e-mail, top
posting is very, very common. The main thing is that I can remember what I
said and I don't need people to do the quote/reply thing. I just want to
get their response (but, as I mentioned, in long postings or e-mails
quote/reply is fine). Your preference for mixed posting is fine, but trying
to make people post a certain way is really just a waste of time.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Russell Campbell wrote:

[David Dorward wrote:]
I don't know what you're talking about.

open the front cover and begin reading there?
the back cover and end up at the front or do you
chapter one or do you start somewhere near
When reading a book, do you start at

http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#upside

Russell Campbell

I did figure it out a moment later. I was thinking of another, more
irritating and serious issue.

BTW, do you always answer people in such a condescending and snotty manner?

Jonathan N. Little

Russell said:
I did figure it out a moment later. I was thinking of another, more
irritating and serious issue.

BTW, do you always answer people in such a condescending and snotty manner?
*PLONK!*

Chris F.A. Johnson

It's interesting how people want to dictate how you post because that's the
way they post.

It's interesting that people generally post in a sensible manner.
One thing I've noticed in many years on the Web is that there are
many preferences on this issue and it's kind of silly to try to make
people post the way you want them to.

Usenet is *not* the Web.
Why is your way correct and mine not?

Why does 1 plus 1 equal 2 and not 3?
In my experience, most people "top post",

Not in Usenet, and not, in my experience in e-mail either, though
unfortunately it is becomming more common.
but switch to "mixed posting" (to make up a term meaning
quote/reply/quote/reply etc.) when the original post is long and
contains many points (I do this sometimes).

That makes sense. Put your reply after the relevant section.
In quite a number of different forums I find that top posting and
mixed posting are most prevelent, with "bottom posting" being used
(but IMHO it's the most irritating).

Forums are not Usenet.
I think you have to allow for people to post the way they want to.

Sure, if they want to be corrected or ignored.
It's irritating when people jump on this issue in such a small minor
post as this was. At least in a longer submission I could understand
the desire for mixed posting, but in this little thread they need
everything requoted?

In Usenet, you have no idea whether the reader has even seen any
remembers it, after poerhaps having read dozens (or even hundreds)
of other posts before returning to the thread.
I sure don't understand why.

Try harder.
Really . . . you can't dictate people's styles. Sorry if you don't
like it, but I live with other people's posting styles and resist
lecturing, so why can't you (granted, you weren't the one that told
me how to post, but you did chime in). I do have to resist the
temptation to request a certain style when people bottom post. When
the orginal post was long, it's really irritating to have to
constantly scroll down to see the latest response, especially as it
gets copied with replies and the latest reply is way down the page.

It helps to use a good newsreader. I just press tab to go directly
to the new material, no matter how long the post is. Even without
that, it's rare for more than two or three keystrokes to be
required to get to the bottom.
An in e-mail, top posting is very, very common.

It's getting that way, unfortunately.
The main thing is that I can remember what I said and I don't need
people to do the quote/reply thing.

Perhaps you don't say very much? In a newsgroup, ythere may be
many pespondents, not just you. It is much easier if one can read
the replies chronologically.
I just want to get their response (but, as I mentioned, in long
postings or e-mails quote/reply is fine). Your preference for mixed
posting is fine, but trying to make people post a certain way is
really just a waste of time.

Not posting logically is a waste of many more people's time.

Russell Campbell

Again, it just comes down to your opinion. Sure, people can ignore my
posts. If they do that then I'm not bothered. The Internet is a big place
with lots of people willing to help out instead of just arguing over
something like this. What bothers me is that someone jumped on me for top
posting in a very short post. One other person who chimed in posted a link
to try to justify his opinion and in that very link it said on short
messages it really doesn't matter, so his attempts to justify his opinion
actually supported the fact that he should have just kept quiet. And then
another person chmied in with a condescending and snotty response. Call me
crazy, but it seems that if he wants to win people over to his way of seeing
things that it might be a bad idea to start off by insulting them. His
response was to insult me again (or just a notification he was going to kill
filter me, depending on the meaning of his acronym). This person just comes
across as someone who starts off in an arrogant fashion and runs off pouting
when he doesn't get his way. Do you think I care if he is filtering me?
That guy had nothing intelligent to say. Your reply was thought out, at
least, and addressed my statements, though it did have a touch of an
attitude, also, with the "1 + 1" comment and the "try harder" comment.

I did use the word "Web" imprecisely. I should have type Internet. I also
used the word forum as a general term for a place where people can have a
community discussion. So I was talking about what the Internet brings us
and allow us to participate in and that takes many forms.

I've participated a good bit in newsgroups, though not as much these days
for various reasons. I've never had people jump on me for posting styles.
I've not jumped on them, either. To each his own (except in this NG where
it seems that if the people don't get their way, they won't talk to you).

Russell Campbell

I'm not sure this will help, even if IE 6 handled it properly. Is this
going to make the printer start printing at the very edge of the page with
the 0px value (which most laser printers can't do, anyway)? What I need is
to tell the printer to use about a 1/4 inch margin, which most laser
printers can do. I think the main problem right now is IE's poor support of
CSS2.

Thanks for your reply.

Nikita the Spider

I'm not sure this will help, even if IE 6 handled it properly. Is this
going to make the printer start printing at the very edge of the page with
the 0px value (which most laser printers can't do, anyway)? What I need is
to tell the printer to use about a 1/4 inch margin, which most laser
printers can do. I think the main problem right now is IE's poor support of
CSS2.

Well, if IE understands that, it's pretty easy to adjust it to whatever
you want. 1pt = 1/72 of an inch, 25/72 = .35, so .35pt might get you the
margins of 1/4 inch. I don't remember if that works under IE or not; I
wrote that CSS a long time ago. Why not try it and report back to us?

BTW, as with (many) others in the group, I find top posting pretty hard
to read too.

Leonard Blaisdell

"Russell Campbell said:
Again, it just comes down to your opinion. Sure, people can ignore my
posts.

This is a horse beaten by thousands of top posters for many many years.

<algorithm>
If you top post a reply, you will be corrected. Your question or comment
will be drowned out with 'don't top post' replies. You will give a
sanctimonious response. You will be corrected again. You will give a
statement of your philosophy. You will be corrected again. You will
learn, or you will leave.
</algorithm>
Another person top posts. GOTO: <algorithm>;
I post to eleven groups. The above can be expected from all of them. I
don't post to <and don't know the
rules there.

leo