    I know from MSDN that vs.net can run on p-II even, then why is the system so
    slow?

    Regards.
    Amka, Jan 27, 2004

  2. "Amka" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a project which I converted from Vb to Vb.NEt
    >
    > But the system is running extremely slow. I have Intel PIII Processor ,

    256
    > MB RAM. Plz let me know if tehre is anything I can do to enhance the
    > performance of my system.
    >
    > I know from MSDN that vs.net can run on p-II even, then why is the system

    so
    > slow?
    >
    > Regards.

    Please provide some details, Amka.
    What, exactly, is running slowly? The Visual Studio .NET IDE, your solution
    in the IDE, or your solution as deployed? What does your solution do? Is
    database access involved, etc? Also, what speed CPU and what other hardware
    is involved?
    Without detailed information it's difficult to provide constructive
    suggestions, except to say that if your concerns are about Visual Studio
    ..NET itself, an additional 256 Meg of memory will produce a noticeable
    improvement, IME.

    --
    Peter [MVP Academic]
    Peter van der Goes, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Amka,
    In addition to Armin's comments.

    Remember there are things that you would do in VB6 to improve performance
    that may actually hurt performance in VB.NET.

    The following articles provide information on writing .NET code that
    performs well.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/fastmanagedcode.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...y/en-us/dndotnet/html/highperfmanagedapps.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/vbnstrcatn.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechart/html/vbtchperfopt.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/dotnetperftechs.asp

    Hope this helps
    Jay

    Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook], Jan 27, 2004
  4. Amka

    Cor Guest

    Hi Amka,

    Herfried K. Wagner says often he uses a PII 350 (I do not know if that is
    changed)

    So tell us something more what is the slow part?
    Maybe we can help you then.

    Cor

    Cor, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Amka

    Amka Guest

    Thanks Peter. I have even tried with extra RAM, it did not help. I have
    given the details here. Plz see the reply to Cor.

    Amka, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Amka

    Amka Guest

    > In addition to Armin's comments
    I did not find any response by Armin. Appreciate if you look into the
    details of my issue,as given to Cor.

    Amka, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Amka

    Amka Guest

    Sure Cor. Actually I converted this project from VB to VB.NET
    Now as I open this project by clicking to any form in the solution's
    explorer, it takes considerable amount of time to open the form. After the
    form is opened, the pointer is still as the hourglass for a long time.So the
    issues are showing up in the design time itself. Do we have some settings
    here that could be changed accordingly to enhance the system's performance,
    like the InterOp, or debugger, or any background process that might be
    having a direct link with the performance? Please help. Also, I must mention
    that the application is pretty huge with around 120 forms and class modules
    put together.
    Regards.

    What we would ideally like is to know if there are any settings in .NET IDE

    which would result in a performance hit. Would there be any settings ( like

    referrring to InterOp DLLs) which could be turned off or for that matter

    turned on which would help us.

    Also would there be any background process running ( like a debugger or so)

    which may reduce the speed. We have noticed that even after a file is

    opened in design/code view, the mouse pointer is still in the hourglass

    mode which typically indicates that there are some background processes

    running.

    Amka, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Amka

    Cor Guest

    Hi Amka,

    Are you using 2002 or 2003 because 2002 I remember me now is starting much
    slower than 2003.

    Cor
    Cor, Jan 28, 2004
  9. Amka,
    > I did not find any response by Armin.

    Have you noticed that you cross posted this to multiple newsgroups?

    Have you noticed that the replies are not necessarily cross posted to all
    the original newsgroups?

    > Appreciate if you look into the
    > details of my issue,as given to Cor.

    Two important questions?

    - Are you running VS.NET 2002 or VS.NET 2003?
    - Is this an issue with VS.NET or running your app?

    Hope this helps
    Jay

    ,

    Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook], Jan 28, 2004