converting MP3 to SWF using Ruby - my company will pay

CD Baby

My company needs an ongoing simple script to convert MP3 files to SWF
(Flash) files

Someone has done exactly what we need, here:
http://www.swfx.org/swfmp3/index.jsp
... but it's in Java, and I don't feel like installing Java on all of
our servers, just for this one simple use.

Though I know Ruby, I don't know SWF format, so if anyone else here
does, I would gladly pay for your time to write a simple tool that
could do this. We could even make it BSD license and put it up at
RubyForge so the world can use and improve it, too.

Please email me directly at (e-mail address removed) if interested.

Thanks!

Cristi BALAN

My company needs an ongoing simple script to convert MP3 files to SWF
(Flash) files

Someone has done exactly what we need, here:
http://www.swfx.org/swfmp3/index.jsp
... but it's in Java, and I don't feel like installing Java on all of
our servers, just for this one simple use.

Though I know Ruby, I don't know SWF format, so if anyone else here
does, I would gladly pay for your time to write a simple tool that
could do this. We could even make it BSD license and put it up at
RubyForge so the world can use and improve it, too.

Please email me directly at (e-mail address removed) if interested.

Thanks!

Are you sure you want to convert your mp3's to swf? I think it would
be easier just to make a nice swf that can be fed the url to the mp3
as a parameter. I don't do actionscript, but i have seen this done
with other flash movies, avis and images so, i suppose it will work
for mp3 too...
Googling for "flash load mp3 files at runtime" brings this link on the
second position:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/productinfo/features/mx/03rich_media_support.html

Sending parameters to flash files can be done the same way you send
get parameters to a serverside script:
foo.swf?mp3=bar/baz.mp3

If you need to change the mp3 file path at runtime, the mp3 variable
can be changed using javascript, but browser support might not be
perfect, tho i think at least moz, ie and opera can do it.

If on the other hand you want to provide the swf's as downloads,
ignore what i just said :) ... seems you really need to embed them in
the swf then.

HTH

CD Baby

[WARNING: HAS GONE MOSTLY OFF-TOPIC FROM RUBY]

Well hotdamn! Look at that. (See - I don't know crap about Flash.)
And yes you're right I'd MUCH rather load the MP3 dynamically because
we're talking about over 800,000 songs. It would save me a terabyte
of storage to not have to convert & store. I thought that was the
only way.

Ok I'll go do a little ActionScript research on
http://safari.oreilly.com and come back here if I can find another
excuse to pay a Ruby programmer. :) (Always looking for reasons...)

Thanks very much for the info.

- Derek