copy file from local comp to server ?

szaki

Hello,
how can I copy a file from local disk to windows server ?
I have a control file on my web side,
<input type="file" name="file1" />
I choose file on local computer and what function must I use to copy
this file to server ?

Thanks for any help.

Luk

Adrienne Boswell

Hello,
how can I copy a file from local disk to windows server ?
I have a control file on my web side,
<input type="file" name="file1" />
I choose file on local computer and what function must I use to copy
this file to server ?

Thanks for any help.

Luk

There has to be a script on the server that processes the information.
Since you're using windows, you might be using IIS, which might mean ASP.
Look for ASP Upload. There are a few components that will do it for you,
and somewhere out there is a script that will do it for free. You will
have to Google.

You also need to read about forms and how they handle information. Jukka
has some excellent pages written on the subject (my browser is down right
now, or I'd give you the URL). Jukka?

John Hosking

szaki said:
how can I copy a file from local disk to windows server ?
I have a control file on my web side,
<input type="file" name="file1" />
I choose file on local computer and what function must I use to copy
this file to server ?

"FTP"

HTH

szaki

Google "ASP copy local file to server" exchage ASP for PHP for a php
solution

OK. So I use ASP.
Do you have some scripts who do that (copy file from local computer to
server).

Thanks for any help.
Luk

[...]

Can you give me a URL ? Jukka
Thanks

Adrienne Boswell

Where did it go? ;-)

It got bogged down with its day to day business. It's particularly slow
in the morning (like me), when it's recovering from virus scans, getting
email, and finishing some nightly backups.

I'm actually going to get a new system and network this one to it. This
system has three hard drives, the oldest of which is a geriatric 7. It's
pretty much maxed out, hence the need to get a new machine --- that I can
put more drives in and abuse just as much --- HA HA HA!!!

szaki

It got bogged down with its day to day business. It's particularly slow
in the morning (like me), when it's recovering from virus scans, getting
email, and finishing some nightly backups.

I'm actually going to get a new system and network this one to it. This
system has three hard drives, the oldest of which is a geriatric 7. It's
pretty much maxed out, hence the need to get a new machine --- that I can
put more drives in and abuse just as much --- HA HA HA!!!

Thanks a lot.
This URL is what I do.
Sorry for my english, at the day I like speak and write in polish ;)

by
Luk

Jonathan N. Little

Adrienne said:
This system has three hard drives, the oldest of which is a geriatric 7.

Geriatric 7? What's a seven? IS this some Mac thing?

Mine is a sort of "evolving" system currently with 2 120Gbs looking at
adding a 3rd SATA 320|400Gb and grudgingly install this damn XP. I
prefer my Win2K and would not change but I really need to see and test
all the "new" bugs that MSIE7 creates! ;-)

dorayme

Sherm Pendley said:
Or maybe 7 GB. That'd be pretty old too...

sherm--

I still own or have owned 400MB, 1GB, 2GB, 3GB (I'm sort of sure
about this 3), 4GB and then 9G and 18G. All SCSI from older Macs.
Never seen a 7GB?

Ed Mullen

dorayme said:
I still own or have owned 400MB, 1GB, 2GB, 3GB (I'm sort of sure
about this 3), 4GB and then 9G and 18G. All SCSI from older Macs.
Never seen a 7GB?

You haven't lived (or have no room to brag) unless you've owned a 15 Mb
hard drive (circa 1987) that was housed in an enclosure larger than the
largest of today's modern tower systems and that cost several thousand
(that's the closest I can come to accuracy without searching my price
list archives) US dollars. No, I'm not as old as dirt: It just seems
that way because I was in a business area that was "bleeding edge."

No matter. Still, us "old farts" technology-wise will always have great
"war stories" to tell.

Heck, before that (circa 1986) I remember visiting an IBM facility (my
wife just retired after 24 years as an exec with IBM) back in the 80s
and learning about DASD (Daz-dee) storage. Wow! Attached storage for
main frames and servers (a very new concept back then) that was sold in
about 6 Gigabyte increments. Very large, needed to be housed in a data
center configuration (clean and cooled). And 6 Gb back then (even at
tens of thousands of dollars) was considered to be very bleeding-edge.

Now, I have 4 computers in my house, on a wired LAN with wireless access
points (multiple) and a total of (adding quickly now) about a half a
terabyte of disk storage, and that's all online, R/W, hard disk space,
not including any DVD or CD-ROM backups.

Now here's the sobering thought (which I know full well): It could all
fail tomorrow. And then it's all about "How good are my backups?"

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
You haven't lived (or have no room to brag) unless you've owned a 15 Mb
hard drive (circa 1987)

Actually, Ed, you are now jogging my memory. I owned a Mac SE
with one 800k disk drive and a 20 MB hard drive. But wait, I
recall owning the ultimately small HD - a Zero MB one:

A neighbour was throwing out an SE that had come _standard_ and
operable with two floppy drives (2 slits one on top of the other)
and no HD, I gave it a home for a while. Yes, OSs were smaller in
those days!

Jonathan N. Little

Ed said:
You haven't lived (or have no room to brag) unless you've owned a 15 Mb
hard drive (circa 1987) that was housed in an enclosure larger than the
largest of today's modern tower systems and that cost several thousand
(that's the closest I can come to accuracy without searching my price
list archives) US dollars. No, I'm not as old as dirt: It just seems
that way because I was in a business area that was "bleeding edge."

No matter. Still, us "old farts" technology-wise will always have great
"war stories" to tell.

How about a 20MB Mountain DriveCard! Got one one on a shelf the goes in
an old XT up in the attic, Got a 32MB Seagate MFM around here too, and
to 8088s in the attic one genuine IBM PC and a Visual 30lbs "compact"
with dual floppys and a full 64Kb of RAM!

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Sherm Pendley
Or maybe 7 GB. That'd be pretty old too...

No, I mean 7 years old. And that drive has information on it from 1997,
from an older drive that crashed and burned. Speaking of burning... I
think my chicken is ready... gotta go!