copy file from local comp to server ?

Neredbojias

Thanks a lot.
This URL is what I do.
Sorry for my english, at the day I like speak and write in polish ;)

Don't sweat it. My uncle's Polish, and besides being a conniving, cunning,
sneaky, egotistical little rat, he's a lot of fun.

Neredbojias

You haven't lived (or have no room to brag) unless you've owned a 15
Mb hard drive (circa 1987) that was housed in an enclosure larger than
the largest of today's modern tower systems and that cost several
thousand (that's the closest I can come to accuracy without searching
my price list archives) US dollars. No, I'm not as old as dirt: It
just seems that way because I was in a business area that was
"bleeding edge."

You sure? In 1987 I purchased a just-under 1 gb Priam hd for $3200. It
came with some kind of disk-partitioning/managing software (-can't recall
name, maybe "Disk Manager") to increase capacity.

Ed Mullen

Neredbojias said:
You sure? In 1987 I purchased a just-under 1 gb Priam hd for $3200. It
came with some kind of disk-partitioning/managing software (-can't recall
name, maybe "Disk Manager") to increase capacity.

99.9 % certain. I was a manager with a Sony business division and we
sold them as accessories to some of our systems. If I recall correctly,
there were two models, a 5 Mb and a 15 Mb. We sourced them from another
manufacturer but I can't remember the brand.

Neredbojias

99.9 % certain. I was a manager with a Sony business division and we
sold them as accessories to some of our systems. If I recall
correctly, there were two models, a 5 Mb and a 15 Mb. We sourced them
from another manufacturer but I can't remember the brand.

Well, I could be off a year or so in time, but I _know_ by early '89 I'd
had the Priam for quite a while 'cause I switched it to another computer
then. Anyway, I just found it surprising that such a small-capacity hd
would be so expensive (at that time). I think Seagate 40's (mb) were the
consumer pc standard about then; my appx. 860 mb Priam was near the same
size in all dimensions except twice the height.

J.O. Aho

Adrienne said:
It got bogged down with its day to day business. It's particularly slow
in the morning (like me), when it's recovering from virus scans, getting
email, and finishing some nightly backups.

Virus scan? what's that?
I'm actually going to get a new system and network this one to it. This
system has three hard drives, the oldest of which is a geriatric 7. It's
pretty much maxed out, hence the need to get a new machine --- that I can
put more drives in and abuse just as much --- HA HA HA!!!

I have an old Sparc, it was a top of the line in 1997 or something like that,
but today it's utterly slow, specially it's IDE, but something that is quite
fun is to net boot it, as you get better performance to read the data over NFS
shares than over IDE. Another neat thing you can do with an old computer is to
use it as a terminal, then the X Windows System is run locally and the rest on
the remote machine, and it feels like you have a completely new computer, even
if it would be older than you ;)