Copy Web tool driving me nuts!

Steve Franks

The Copy Web tool provided with VS.NET 2005 is very convenient. However
every once in a while it seems to think the files on the remote server have
changed, which they have not. Then when I use the Copy Web Site feature of
Copy Web to just copy the entire web site over, it thinks it has to
re-upload the entire site which takes a very long time - when in fact those
files on the remote have not changed.

Does anyone know why this occurs and how to prevent it?

Can anyone recommend a better way for deploying changed-only files from my
local dev box to the production server? I don't want to have to zip
everything up and copy the zip and expand it - too inconvenient. I'm just
looking for a simple and fast way to easily send the changed only files
over.

Thanks,

Steve

Guest

do a quick check on the files... see if they have any differences. Perhaps
your compilation is resetting some of the files. Check the dates, sizes,
etc.... just to be certain.

Steve Franks

Well I figured out what is causing this and wondering if you guys have any
ideas on how to resolve it...

Basically what's happening is this: From dev machine A I can do a "Copy Web
Site" command and tell it to copy the entie site. Then as I make changes I
can keep telling it to copy the entire site, and it nicely only copies the
files I've changed recently.

The problem occurs however when I then take these files to dev machine B.
Basically I just copy all the files to a DVD, then copy them onto dev
machine B. But then after I change just a couple of files, the "copy all
files to the site" type of command is all confused about what files have
changed between the dev machine and server and wants to copy everything all
over again.

Is there a way I can keep moving my files between dev machines, but have
VS.NET 2005 realize that the files on the remote server haven't changed?

Perhaps my entire approach here is wrong? How are you guys managing doing
devleopment from multiple dev machines and keeping the files on the remote
server current?

Thanks,

Steve