    pages?

    I must have a black out as i cannot find a way that quick ;-(

    Hans

    me, May 22, 2005

  2. In article <d6pnju$rnc$1.ov.home.nl>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > It must be simple, but I cannot find a solution quickly.
    >
    > Without use of frames, I want to place a footer (in this case copyright text
    > info) as a full text under all my pages.
    > The full copyright text is in a page "copyright.html".
    >
    > What simple HTML code to use to place my "copyright.html" text under all
    > pages?
    >
    > I must have a black out as i cannot find a way that quick ;-(

    SSI.

    --
    Hywel

    Kill the Crazy Frog
    http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/

    Hywel Jenkins, May 22, 2005

  3. Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > In article <d6pnju$rnc$1.ov.home.nl>,
    > says...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It must be simple, but I cannot find a solution quickly.
    >>
    >> Without use of frames, I want to place a footer (in this case copyright
    >> text info) as a full text under all my pages.
    >> The full copyright text is in a page "copyright.html".
    >>
    >> What simple HTML code to use to place my "copyright.html" text under all
    >> pages?
    >>
    >> I must have a black out as i cannot find a way that quick ;-(

    > SSI.

    Huh?!?!

    If your pages are static, e.g. HTML or plain text, you will need to add the
    text to each. You can use Perl scripts to apply operations to batches of
    files, e.g. to add footers to all files or modify the footers. If you
    generate pages on the fly (let us say with PHP), then you need only change
    the 'template' and your life is ever more easy.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, May 22, 2005
  4. On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:40:48 +0100, in alt.html Roy Schestowitz
    <> wrote:
    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > > In article <d6pnju$rnc$1.ov.home.nl>,
    > > says...
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> It must be simple, but I cannot find a solution quickly.
    > >>
    > >> Without use of frames, I want to place a footer (in this case copyright
    > >> text info) as a full text under all my pages.
    > >> The full copyright text is in a page "copyright.html".
    > >>
    > >> What simple HTML code to use to place my "copyright.html" text under all
    > >> pages?
    > >>
    > >> I must have a black out as i cannot find a way that quick ;-(

    > > SSI.

    > Huh?!?!
    >
    > If your pages are static, e.g. HTML or plain text, you will need to add the
    > text to each. You can use Perl scripts to apply operations to batches of
    > files, e.g. to add footers to all files or modify the footers. If you
    > generate pages on the fly (let us say with PHP), then you need only change
    > the 'template' and your life is ever more easy.

    Why go to all that trouble? Just use SSI (Server-Side Includes) as Jenkins
    indicated:

    In each file:

    <!--#include virtual="./includes/copyright.txt"-->

    In "copyright.txt":

    This page copyright 2005 by I. M. Author.

    Now, if the question is how to put that #include statement into several dozen
    files quickly, use an automated text-replacement utility. I use Xchange:

    http://www.simes.clara.co.uk/programs/xchange.htm

    William Hughes, May 22, 2005
  5. In article <d6prb7$28kg$>,
    says...
    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >
    > > In article <d6pnju$rnc$1.ov.home.nl>,
    > > says...
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> It must be simple, but I cannot find a solution quickly.
    > >>
    > >> Without use of frames, I want to place a footer (in this case copyright
    > >> text info) as a full text under all my pages.
    > >> The full copyright text is in a page "copyright.html".
    > >>
    > >> What simple HTML code to use to place my "copyright.html" text under all
    > >> pages?
    > >>
    > >> I must have a black out as i cannot find a way that quick ;-(

    > > SSI.

    > Huh?!?!
    >
    > If your pages are static, e.g. HTML or plain text, you will need to add the
    > text to each.

    Rubbish. Find out what SSI is, then come back.

    Hywel Jenkins, May 22, 2005
  6. me

    me Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> schreef in bericht
    > In article <d6prb7$28kg$>,
    > says...
    >> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <d6pnju$rnc$1.ov.home.nl>,
    >> > says...

    >> > SSI.

    >> Huh?!?!
    >>
    >> If your pages are static, e.g. HTML or plain text, you will need to add
    >> the
    >> text to each.

    > Rubbish. Find out what SSI is, then come back.
    >
    > --
    > Hywel
    >
    > Kill the Crazy Frog
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/

    SSI is indeed what I need. But as I have a private homepage with my
    provider, I am not able to use SSI. My provider does not support it.
    So I guess i have to find another solution.
    :-(

    Hans

    me, May 22, 2005
  7. me

    me Guest

    "William Hughes" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:40:48 +0100, in alt.html Roy Schestowitz
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >> > In article <d6pnju$rnc$1.ov.home.nl>,
    >> > says...

    >> > SSI.

    >> Huh?!?!
    >>
    >> If your pages are static, e.g. HTML or plain text, you will need to add
    >> the
    >> text to each. You can use Perl scripts to apply operations to batches of
    >> files, e.g. to add footers to all files or modify the footers. If you
    >> generate pages on the fly (let us say with PHP), then you need only
    >> change
    >> the 'template' and your life is ever more easy.

    > Why go to all that trouble? Just use SSI (Server-Side Includes) as Jenkins
    > indicated:
    >
    > In each file:
    >
    > <!--#include virtual="./includes/copyright.txt"-->
    >
    > In "copyright.txt":

    > This page copyright 2005 by I. M. Author.
    >

    > Now, if the question is how to put that #include statement into several
    > dozen
    > files quickly, use an automated text-replacement utility. I use Xchange:
    >
    > http://www.simes.clara.co.uk/programs/xchange.htm

    What about a ".htaccess" file?
    Do you have to upload that file?

    This is a rhetorical question out of curriosity as my provider does not
    allow me to use ssi (see my other message).

    Hans

    me, May 22, 2005
  8. me

    me Guest

    "me" <> schreef in bericht
    > Hi,
    >
    > It must be simple, but I cannot find a solution quickly.
    >
    > Without use of frames, I want to place a footer (in this case copyright
    > text info) as a full text under all my pages.
    > The full copyright text is in a page "copyright.html".
    >
    > What simple HTML code to use to place my "copyright.html" text under all
    > pages?
    >
    > I must have a black out as i cannot find a way that quick ;-(
    >
    > Hans

    What if i use an iframe to place the copyright.html page on all my webpages?
    How is it with acceptation and support by browsers if using iframe?

    Hans

    me, May 22, 2005
  9. me

    Spartanicus Guest

    "me" <> wrote:

    >What if i use an iframe to place the copyright.html page on all my webpages?
    >How is it with acceptation and support by browsers if using iframe?

    Use your editor's Search & Replace, no need for problematic things like
    server side inclusion or frames.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, May 22, 2005
  10. me

    Mitja Guest

    > my provider does not
    > allow me to use ssi (see my other message).

    Then your best bet is preprocessing. Not very elegant, but still...
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    Mitja, May 22, 2005
  11. Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > In article <d6prb7$28kg$>,
    > says...
    >> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <d6pnju$rnc$1.ov.home.nl>,
    >> > says...

    >> > SSI.

    >> Huh?!?!
    >>
    >> If your pages are static, e.g. HTML or plain text, you will need to add
    >> the text to each.

    > Rubbish. Find out what SSI is, then come back.

    I SSH'd to a remote SSA-enabled computer, browsed to an SSL'd Web site and
    an SSC explained to me about SSI.

    Now I know that I was wrong.

    Roy

    --