counting question.

Rich Grise

Truthless said:
I am (excitedly)trying to learn perl. The "(in the name of science)" was
supposed to let everyone know that while I could use a perl/cgi wrapper
and accomplish the task it would not help me learn how to sift through
logs in perl, which is my main goal. The bash script does the job and is
only about 6 lines of code. The perl version (incomplete) is up to
around 40.
Maybe I am going about it the wrong way. I did assume that it would take
some work to rewrite a bash script that uses grep, awk, sort, uniq and
cut in a perl script. I thought that maybe there was some built in
functions or basic methods that I have over looked. It just seems that
the script is getting clunky and complicated really quickly.

Thanks,

Can't you just put the shell script in your cgi-bin and call it?

Cheers!
Rich