    Hey,

    Is there any web address that you can purchase CPAN on CD/DVD?

    Jon.

    Jon, Jan 5, 2004

  2. In article <>, Jon <>
    wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > Is there any web address that you can purchase CPAN on CD/DVD?

    Have a look at:

    http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col42.html

    "So that got me thinking. If I brought down only the files that were
    needed by CPAN .pm to perform the installation of the latest release of
    a module, how big would that be? And the answer was wonderfully
    surprising: a bit more than 200 meg, which easily fits on a CD-ROM .

    Unfortunately, I didn't see any clean, easy-to-use, efficient ``mirror
    only the latest modules of the CPAN '' program out there, so I wrote my
    own, which I present in [listing one, below]."

    cheers,

    big

    --
    'When I first met Katho, she had a meat cleaver in one hand and
    half a sheep in the other. "Come in", she says, "Hammo's not here.

    Iain Chalmers, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Jon

    A man Guest

    In article <-berlin.de>,
    spoke thusly...
    > In article <>, Jon <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > Unfortunately, I didn't see any clean, easy-to-use, efficient ``mirror
    > only the latest modules of the CPAN '' program out there, so I wrote my
    > own, which I present in [listing one, below]."

    Try wget. It runs on several unixes and Windows(dos). It can get only
    the newest files from a website.

    --
    Say no to fixed width tables. They look terrible in all browsers.

    A man, Jan 6, 2004
  4. In article <btf8o2$6gr48$-berlin.de>,
    A man <> wrote:

    > In article <-berlin.de>,
    > spoke thusly...
    > > In article <>, Jon <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, I didn't see any clean, easy-to-use, efficient ``mirror
    > > only the latest modules of the CPAN '' program out there, so I wrote my
    > > own, which I present in [listing one, below]."

    Errm, actually, Randal wrote that, I just quoted it...

    > Try wget. It runs on several unixes and Windows(dos). It can get only
    > the newest files from a website.

    The problem with that approach is that the "older" files have "older"
    version numbers, and hence different filenames - wget doesn't cope with
    correctly downloading the "newest" version where a cpan directory may
    contain something like:

    Module::Name-1.0.readme
    Module::Name-1.0.tar.gz
    Module::Name-1.1.readme
    Module::Name-1.1.tar.gz
    Module::Name-1.2.readme
    Module::Name-1.2.tar.gz
    Module::Name-2.0.readme
    Module::Name-2.0.tar.gz
    Module::Name-2.1.readme
    Module::Name-2.1.tar.gz

    wget will grab _all_ of them, where you only really need to get the last
    two...

    cheers,

    big

    Iain Chalmers, Jan 7, 2004