CPAN on DVD/CD

Iain Chalmers

Jon <[email protected]> said:
Hey,

Is there any web address that you can purchase CPAN on CD/DVD?

Have a look at:

http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col42.html

"So that got me thinking. If I brought down only the files that were
needed by CPAN .pm to perform the installation of the latest release of
a module, how big would that be? And the answer was wonderfully
surprising: a bit more than 200 meg, which easily fits on a CD-ROM .

Unfortunately, I didn't see any clean, easy-to-use, efficient ``mirror
only the latest modules of the CPAN '' program out there, so I wrote my
own, which I present in [listing one, below]."

cheers,

big

A man

Unfortunately, I didn't see any clean, easy-to-use, efficient ``mirror
only the latest modules of the CPAN '' program out there, so I wrote my
own, which I present in [listing one, below]."

Try wget. It runs on several unixes and Windows(dos). It can get only
the newest files from a website.

Iain Chalmers

A man said:
Unfortunately, I didn't see any clean, easy-to-use, efficient ``mirror
only the latest modules of the CPAN '' program out there, so I wrote my
own, which I present in [listing one, below]."

Errm, actually, Randal wrote that, I just quoted it...
Try wget. It runs on several unixes and Windows(dos). It can get only
the newest files from a website.

The problem with that approach is that the "older" files have "older"
version numbers, and hence different filenames - wget doesn't cope with
correctly downloading the "newest" version where a cpan directory may
contain something like:

Module::Name-1.0.readme
Module::Name-1.0.tar.gz
Module::Name-1.1.readme
Module::Name-1.1.tar.gz
Module::Name-1.2.readme
Module::Name-1.2.tar.gz
Module::Name-2.0.readme
Module::Name-2.0.tar.gz
Module::Name-2.1.readme
Module::Name-2.1.tar.gz

wget will grab _all_ of them, where you only really need to get the last
two...

cheers,

big