    some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
    charge.

    I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.
    Gavin Kistner, Sep 7, 2006

  2. Gavin Kistner

    James Britt Guest

    Gavin Kistner wrote:
    > I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
    > says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
    > who lives 30 minutes away.
    >
    > What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
    > is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
    > held in?
    >
    > Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
    > nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
    > some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
    > charge.
    >
    > I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

    I'd be surprised if cash-in-hand works as a ticket to the conference,
    but I don't want to discourage anyone from tossing larges sums of cash a
    David and Chad and Rich.

    I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
    tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.

    --
    James Britt

    "I can see them saying something like 'OMG Three Wizards Awesome'"
    - billinboston, on reddit.com
    James Britt, Sep 7, 2006

  3. Gavin Kistner

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    On 9/7/06, James Britt <> wrote:
    > Gavin Kistner wrote:
    > > I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
    > > says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
    > > who lives 30 minutes away.
    > >
    > > What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
    > > is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
    > > held in?
    > >
    > > Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
    > > nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
    > > some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
    > > charge.
    > >
    > > I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

    > I'd be surprised if cash-in-hand works as a ticket to the conference,
    > but I don't want to discourage anyone from tossing larges sums of cash a
    > David and Chad and Rich.
    >
    > I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
    > tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.

    Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?
    Joe Van Dyk, Sep 7, 2006
  4. Gavin Kistner

    Guest

    On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Joe Van Dyk wrote:

    > On 9/7/06, James Britt <> wrote:
    >> Gavin Kistner wrote:
    >> > I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
    >> > says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
    >> > who lives 30 minutes away.
    >> >
    >> > What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
    >> > is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
    >> > held in?
    >> >
    >> > Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
    >> > nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
    >> > some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
    >> > charge.
    >> >
    >> > I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

    >> I'd be surprised if cash-in-hand works as a ticket to the conference,
    >> but I don't want to discourage anyone from tossing larges sums of cash a
    >> David and Chad and Rich.
    >>
    >> I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
    >> tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.

    > Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?

    naw. those are all ok. you just can throw bacon __while__ you're naked.
    unless you happend to be drunk too, then it's ok.

    -a
    --
    what science finds to be nonexistent, we must accept as nonexistent; but what
    science merely does not find is a completely different matter... it is quite
  5. On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 05:24:29AM +0900, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
    [snip]

    > Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?

    Throwing bacon is fine. As long as it isn't in cake form. Bacon cake
    (known as "cakeon" on the east coast) should be eaten and not thrown.

    --Aaron
    Aaron Patterson, Sep 7, 2006
  6. Gavin Kistner

    James Britt Guest

    Joe Van Dyk wrote:

    > Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?

    I would start with all of that, and somehow work in multiple incendiary
    devices and a series of sudden loud noises.

    --
    James Britt
    James Britt, Sep 7, 2006
  7. Gavin Kistner

    Guest

    Hi --

    On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Gavin Kistner wrote:

    > I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
    > says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
    > who lives 30 minutes away.
    >
    > What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
    > is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
    > held in?
    >
    > Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
    > nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
    > some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
    > charge.
    >
    > I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

    I'm afraid the answer is indeed no. There's no registration at the
    door; it's really and truly sold out. Sold out means we're at
    capacity, based on the facilities and our judgment as to what would
    make for a successful and reasonably comfortable event.

    I know the above is adequate for you, Gavin, and that you'll respect
    it; but since the topic has come up, let me append a plea to everyone:
    If you're not registered, PLEASE do not show up at RubyConf and try to
    get in, with or without offering us money. For better or worse, we
    have made decisions about capacity and how we want to organize the
    event. That's how these events work: someone has to decide stuff, and
    the event has to proceed according to a plan. It can't be negotiated
    and second-guessed forever.

    Public areas of the hotel are, of course, hangable out in. I'm sure
    there will be lots of dining out opportunities, too; not everyone has
    signed up for the conference meals.

    David

    --
    David A. Black |
    , Sep 7, 2006
  8. On Sep 7, 2006, at 6:20 PM, Jim Weirich wrote:

    > David wrote:
    >> Public areas of the hotel are, of course, hangable out in. I'm sure
    >> there will be lots of dining out opportunities, too; not everyone has
    >> signed up for the conference meals.

    > Indeed, the Thursday night before the conference always has a bunch of
    > early birds showing up and going out to eat together. If someone
    > local
    > to Denver wants to make a suggestion for a destination, I'm sure it
    > would be great to meet up with some local, non-conference Rubyists.

    There's a good Indian restaurant pretty close to there, though the
    name escapes me at the moment. There's also a great mexican joint
    that makes the guacamole at your table to taste. Darn it, that name
    has left me too. (Don't be too hard on my fuzzy memory; it's been
    ten years since I lived there.) OK locals, help me with the names...

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Sep 8, 2006
  9. Gavin Kistner

    John W. Long Guest

    Re: [OT] Crashing RubyConf

    Paul Lutus wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > / ...
    >
    >> Public areas of the hotel are, of course, hangable out in.

    > Oh, please, stop, stop. This is a wonderful sentence. I guess this sort of
    > prose can become natural over time, depending of course on the people ...
    > around with whom you hang.

    class Hallway
    include Hangoutable
    end

    --
    John Long
    http://wiseheartdesign.com
    John W. Long, Sep 8, 2006
  10. Re: [OT] Crashing RubyConf

    I must be learning from dblack. Yesterday I uttered the phrase:

    > Also, has anyone thought on what days for games?

    to our university's frisbee club.
    Gregory Brown, Sep 8, 2006
  11. Gavin Kistner

    John Wilger Guest

    On 9/7/06, Jim Weirich <> wrote:
    > Indeed, the Thursday night before the conference always has a bunch of
    > early birds showing up and going out to eat together. If someone local
    > to Denver wants to make a suggestion for a destination, I'm sure it
    > would be great to meet up with some local, non-conference Rubyists.

    Oh great. Now you've got me _actually_considering_ flying out to
    Denver just to do The Great Ruby Dinner Party on Thrusday night. :p

    --
    Regards,
    John Wilger

    Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
    "Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
    "I don't know," Alice answered.
    "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
    - Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland
    John Wilger, Sep 8, 2006