create new email message from asp 2.0

Keith G Hicks

I'm converting an MS Access app to ASP 2.0.

One of the features we have in the Access app is the ability to send PDF
versions of reports in an email from the current user. I'm using Ghostscript
and some related code to create a new email message on the client machine
and attach a PDF version of the report to that email message. The user then
has the ability to edit the message as needed before sending it. The Access
app is running on all Windows machines and AFAIK they are all running
Outlook.

However, the new ASP app will be accessed from Windows machines and Macs.
I'm not sure yet if they are goign to need to use this email feature on the
Macs as those users are generally using a different area of the program.

Is it going to be difficult to set this sort of thing up with ASP? Can
anyone point me to some information that covers this sort of thing? Would it
matter what the email client program is? (outlook, OE, or some Mac tool?).
If so, I'd need information on that as well.

My ASP reportign tool can create PDF docs, so that's not an issue. The only
thing to consider here is creatign the new messsage and attaching the file.

Thanks very much for any assistance,

Keith

Mark Rae [MVP]

I'm converting an MS Access app to ASP 2.0.
However, the new ASP app
Is it going to be difficult to set this sort of thing up with ASP?

You're in the wrong newsgroup - this one is for ASP.NET, not ASP.

For ASP questions, please post in: microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

Keith G Hicks

Sorry. I'm new to a lot of this. I inadvertantly left off the .net part not
even considering that there is a difference. Given that, if I'm still in the
rigth spot for my specific quesitons, hopefully someone can answer my
questions.

Thanks,

Keith

Mark Rae [MVP]

[top-posting corrected]
Sorry. I'm new to a lot of this. I inadvertently left off the .net part
not
even considering that there is a difference.

OK. FYI, ASP and ASP.NET are completely different, due to the .NET
Framework...
Given that, if I'm still in the right spot for my specific questions,
hopefully someone can answer my
questions.
OK.

However, the new ASP[.NET] app will be accessed from Windows machines and
Macs.

Irrelevant, as web applications runs on the server, not the browser...
I'm not sure yet if they are going to need to use this email feature on
the
Macs as those users are generally using a different area of the program.

The web server will create the documents and email them, not the client
machines...
Is it going to be difficult to set this sort of thing up with ASP[.NET]?
No.

Would it matter what the email client program is? (Outlook, OE, or some
Mac tool?).

No. As above, the webserver, not the client machines, will send the
emails...
My ASP[.NET] reporting tool can create PDF docs, so that's not an issue.

What reporting tool is it? It may not be suitable for a webserver... Luckily
there are quite a few which work perfectly in this environment...
The only thing to consider here is creating the new message and attaching
the file.

No problem. For that, all you need is the System.Net.Mail namespace and an
SMTP queue for ASP.NET to use...
http://www.systemnetmail.com/

Keith G Hicks

The tool we'll probably use is the Developer Express ASP.net report package
(http://www.devexpress.com/Products/NET/WinForms/XtraReports/). From what I
understand, server side is not a problem. I've used their VCL tools
extensively and am anxious to try out their web development tools.

The one thing that I mentioned in my first post that I'm not sure you
answered is that this client's users currently use the Access feature to
have a new email message created with a subject and an attachment and then
it opens up on the screen so they can manually fill in a recipient and add
text to the body of the message if desired. If it's done server side, I
assume I'd have to give them text boxes in a page that would let them fill
in the recipeint(s) and the message body because once it's created on the
server they wouldn't have the ability to edit it. Is that true?

Thanks,

Keith

Mark Rae said:
[...]

I've never used them...
The one thing that I mentioned in my first post that I'm not sure you
answered is that this client's users currently use the Access feature to
have a new email message created with a subject and an attachment and then
it opens up on the screen so they can manually fill in a recipient and add
text to the body of the message if desired. If it's done server side, I
assume I'd have to give them text boxes in a page that would let them fill
in the recipeint(s) and the message body because once it's created on the
server they wouldn't have the ability to edit it. Is that true?

Yes, but that's an extremely simple thing to do...