Create newsletter. Please, need advice. Thank You

Discussion in 'HTML' started by shapper, Mar 15, 2009.

  1. shapper

    shapper Guest

    Hello,

    I am need to send a newsletter to my web site subscribers.

    1. I suppose sending images and complex layouts might be a problem
    because of the different ways Outlook, and other programs read it ...
    And maybe of size and security issues. Am I right?
    So I am planning to send simple text with simple formating and links
    to my web site.

    2. What about CSS formated emails in HTML format?
    Can I just change the email font, text background color and body
    background color?
    I suppose I should need to include the CSS code on the email head
    tag.

    3. What other considerations do I need for creating the email?
    Doctype, etc?

    4. Should I send the email to all users at once using BCC or one email
    for each user?
    Or maybe to groups of 10 (using BCC)?

    5. I suppose that if I use only this small format if the user don't
    accept emails in HTML format the email will be displayed in text
    format ... Am I wrong? As far as I know I will only loose the text
    format. Or will I also have problems with line breaks? <br/> ...

    Could someone, please, advice me?

    This is the first newsletter I created for a web site.

    Thanks,
    Miguel

    shapper, Mar 15, 2009

  2. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    shapper <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am need to send a newsletter to my web site subscribers.
    >
    > 1. I suppose sending images and complex layouts

    Make a web page on your site and send a plain text email to your
    subscribers with the link.

    The other alternative is make the newsletter in PDF and send them emails
    with where to download it from your website.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 15, 2009

  3. shapper

    shapper Guest

    On Mar 15, 6:36 pm, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    > shapper <> writes:
    > > I am need to send a newsletter to my web site subscribers.

    > > 1. I suppose sending images and complex layouts might be a problem
    > > because of the different ways Outlook, and other programs read it ...
    > > And maybe of size and security issues. Am I right?

    > Yes, spot-on.
    >
    > > So I am planning to send simple text with simple formating and links
    > > to my web site.

    > Great idea.
    >
    > > 2. What about CSS formated emails in HTML format?
    > >     Can I just change the email font, text background color and body
    > > background color?

    > You can, but see below.
    >
    > >     I suppose I should need to include the CSS code on the email head
    > > tag.

    > That would be best IMHO.
    >
    > > 3. What other considerations do I need for creating the email?
    > > Doctype, etc?

    > Not everyone's email client supports HTML.
    >
    > > 4. Should I send the email to all users at once using BCC or one email
    > > for each user?
    > >     Or maybe to groups of 10 (using BCC)?

    > BCC can, in theory, be a little net-friendlier. Suppose you're sending 8
    > emails to various addresses at isp.invalid. If you include them all as
    > BCC, your own ISP could send a single message to the mail server at the
    > target ISP, which would then distribute the 8 copies to the intended users.
    >
    > In practice, I don't know whether mail servers can "batch" transactions
    > in this manner. I suspect that they do, in order to minimize the use of
    > expensive bandwidth, but I have no hands-on experience in this area.
    >
    > > 5. I suppose that if I use only this small format if the user don't
    > > accept emails in HTML format the email will be displayed in text
    > > format ... Am I wrong?

    > That depends on how you send it. If you simply send HTML in the body of
    > your email message, then clients that don't understand it will simply show
    > the "raw" unparsed HTML - probably not something your users will want
    > to see.
    >
    > What you should do to avoid this is MIME encode the message body as
    > "multipart/alternative", with both plain text and HTML versions included.
    > That will give you the behavior you describe above, where users who don't
    > accept HTML email will see the text/plain version instead.
    >
    > Have a look at: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Multipart_messages>
    >
    > sherm--
    >
    > --
    > My blog:http://shermspace.blogspot.com
    > Cocoa programming in Perl:http://camelbones.sourceforge.net

    Sherm,

    The multipart seems really interesting but in this case I can't use
    CSS classes right?
    But can I use all HTML tags like h1's, p's and apply styles inline?
    For example:

    Thank You,
    Miguel

    shapper, Mar 15, 2009
  4. shapper

    shapper Guest

    On Mar 15, 7:08 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >  shapper <> wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I am need to send a newsletter to my web site subscribers.

    > > 1. I suppose sending images and complex layouts

    > Make a web page on your site and send a plain text email to your
    > subscribers with the link.
    >
    > The other alternative is make the newsletter in PDF and send them emails
    > with where to download it from your website.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Hi dorayme,

    I understand your point but in this newsletter I am sending links to
    the recently created or updated articles and on the web sites.

    I think if I redirect the user to a page on my web site I loose the
    purpose of the newsletter itself.

    Thank You,
    Miguel

    shapper, Mar 15, 2009
  5. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    shapper <> wrote:

    > On Mar 15, 7:08 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >
    > >  shapper <> wrote:

    > > > I am need to send a newsletter to my web site subscribers.

    > > Make a web page on your site and send a plain text email to your
    > > subscribers with the link.
    > >
    > > The other alternative is make the newsletter in PDF and send them emails
    > > with where to download it from your website.

    > I understand your point but in this newsletter I am sending links to
    > the recently created or updated articles and on the web sites.
    >
    > I think if I redirect the user to a page on my web site I loose the
    > purpose of the newsletter itself.

    You are wanting to draw attention to things on your website in a
    newsletter as well as possible other things. Perhaps you are right and
    the way your subscribers are alerted to this newsletter matters a lot?
    Perhaps if a subscriber sees a plain text email to go to a URL to read a
    'newletter' they might not be as interested?

    If I got a nice short plain text email to let me know to see latest
    'newsletter' to a site I had somehow actually subscribed to, I would be
    tempted. If I got an HTML one, especially if it was long with many
    links, I am not sure this would be any more convenient to me. In many
    ways not in that I am not fussed about storing text emails but html ones
    with pics and things can take up more disk space and feel like bloat to
    me.

    Anyway, I think it so much neater to send one small thing to a lot of
    people to empower them to get a lot of things than to send them all a
    lot of things which they might not utilise anyway.

    But your needs may vary.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 15, 2009
  6. shapper

    shapper Guest

    On Mar 15, 11:22 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >  shapper <> wrote:
    > > On Mar 15, 7:08 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <>,

    > > > Make a web page on your site and send a plain text email to your
    > > > subscribers with the link.

    > > > The other alternative is make the newsletter in PDF and send them emails
    > > > with where to download it from your website.

    > > I understand your point but in this newsletter I am sending links to
    > > the recently created or updated articles and on the web sites.

    > > I think if I redirect the user to a page on my web site I loose the
    > > purpose of the newsletter itself.

    > You are wanting to draw attention to things on your website in a
    > newsletter as well as possible other things. Perhaps you are right and
    > the way your subscribers are alerted to this newsletter matters a lot?
    > Perhaps if a subscriber sees a plain text email to go to a URL to read a
    > 'newletter' they might not be as interested?
    >
    > If I got a nice short plain text email to let me know to see latest
    > 'newsletter' to a site I had somehow actually subscribed to, I would be
    > tempted. If I got an HTML one, especially if it was long with many
    > links, I am not sure this would be any more convenient to me. In many
    > ways not in that I am not fussed about storing text emails but html ones
    > with pics and things can take up more disk space and feel like bloat to
    > me.
    >
    > Anyway, I think it so much neater to send one small thing to a lot of
    > people to empower them to get a lot of things than to send them all a
    > lot of things which they might not utilise anyway.
    >
    > But your needs may vary.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Hi,

    I read everything I could find about this. A few examples:
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/cssemail/
    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=StyleInEmail

    And I came up with the following:
    http://bonsalunos.pt/Newsletter.htm

    The only image I have is the logo and I am using "http://..." for the
    image src. But I also defined the ALT attribute.

    I tried to follow all the tips I found but obviously I might miss
    something.

    Any suggestion is very welcome ...

    Thank You,
    Miguel

    shapper, Mar 16, 2009
  7. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed shapper <>
    writing in news:0fe317f5-8ab4-4f66-a123-
    :

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am need to send a newsletter to my web site subscribers.
    >
    > 1. I suppose sending images and complex layouts might be a problem
    > because of the different ways Outlook, and other programs read it ...
    > And maybe of size and security issues. Am I right?
    > So I am planning to send simple text with simple formating and links
    > to my web site.

    As others have said, yes, much better.

    > 2. What about CSS formated emails in HTML format?
    > Can I just change the email font, text background color and body
    > background color?
    > I suppose I should need to include the CSS code on the email head
    > tag.

    Some web based email will remove the CSS in the head, but if the content
    is okay without the styling, no problem.

    > 3. What other considerations do I need for creating the email?
    > Doctype, etc?
    >
    > 4. Should I send the email to all users at once using BCC or one email
    > for each user?
    > Or maybe to groups of 10 (using BCC)?

    You might want to look at GroupMail from http://infacta.com . I've used
    it for years. It can send personal or BCC. I think BCC is better,
    probably for reasons described elsewhere in this thread.

    > 5. I suppose that if I use only this small format if the user don't
    > accept emails in HTML format the email will be displayed in text
    > format ... Am I wrong? As far as I know I will only loose the text
    > format. Or will I also have problems with line breaks? <br/> ...

    As others have said, multipart/alternative is the way to go. When I was
    sending out the neighborhood buzz, I had an HTML version and plain text
    version. Since URLs could get long, I created something similar to
    tinyurl on our server, and used those URLs on the plain text version,
    and regular URLs on the HTML version.

    > Could someone, please, advice me?

    The other advice I have is to make sure you keep a clean list.
    GroupMail has a plugin that does an SMTP check of all the email
    addresses in the group list. I always did this check before adding an
    email to the list. When email is returned, be sure and remove the
    address from your list right away. Of course, if someone requests
    unsubscribe, remove them immediately, and send a nice aknowledgement
    email saying they have been removed. I also added x-unsubscribe to the
    header, as well as an unsubscribe email address within the body of the
    newsletter.

    > This is the first newsletter I created for a web site.

    Good luck to you. You might also want to consider keeping an archive of
    past newsletters in HTML format, in case the recipient deletes the email
    and wants to read the contents at a future time. You could also set up
    RSS with the contents of the newsletter, for those that prefer that.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 16, 2009
  8. shapper

    shapper Guest

    On Mar 16, 4:09 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
> [...]

    > GroupMail has a plugin that does an SMTP check of all the email
    > addresses in the group list.  I always did this check before adding an
    > email to the list.  When email is returned, be sure and remove the
    > address from your list right away.  Of course, if someone requests
    > unsubscribe, remove them immediately, and send a nice aknowledgement
    > email saying they have been removed.  I also added x-unsubscribe to the
    > header, as well as an unsubscribe email address within the body of the
    > newsletter.
    >

    > > This is the first newsletter I created for a web site.

    > Good luck to you.  You might also want to consider keeping an archive of
    > past newsletters in HTML format, in case the recipient deletes the email
    > and wants to read the contents at a future time.  You could also set up
    > RSS with the contents of the newsletter, for those that prefer that.

    I already created a newsletter sample in:
    http://www.bonsalunos.pt/Newsletter.htm
    Any comments are welcome.
    Which Doctype should I use?

    Thank your for the suggestion of group mail.

    About RSS I already have it ... basically my RSS keeps an instant
    updated list of any article or document created or updated.

    The newsletter sends a list of the documents and articles created and
    updated each month.

    And yes I am keeping a copy of each newsletter on my web site to.

    Thanks,
    Miguel

    shapper, Mar 16, 2009
  9. Adrienne Boswell, Mar 16, 2009
  10. On 16 Mar 2009, shapper <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I already created a newsletter sample in:
    > http://www.bonsalunos.pt/Newsletter.htm
    > Any comments are welcome.

    Ugh! I'm not a fan of black backgrounds (for text) but in any case the
    gray is too dark and the regular text could be lighter as well. And
    especially with that "theme", the font-size should be larger.

    --
    Awful Dog Autry

    Awful Dog Autry, Mar 16, 2009
  11. On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:41:12 -0700 (PDT), shapper <>
    wrote:

    >Any suggestion is very welcome ...

    Why not using RSS feed instead of Newsletters ?

    Raymond Schmit, Mar 17, 2009
  12. shapper

    shapper Guest

    On Mar 17, 12:19 am, (Raymond Schmit)
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:41:12 -0700 (PDT), shapper <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Any suggestion is very welcome ...

    > Why not using RSS feed instead of Newsletters ?

    I use both ... not everybody uses RSS ... many people don't even know
    RSS.

    But email is much more common ...

    shapper, Mar 17, 2009
  13. shapper

    shapper Guest

    On Mar 17, 1:26 am, shapper <> wrote:
    > On Mar 17, 12:19 am, (Raymond Schmit)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:41:12 -0700 (PDT), shapper <>
    > > wrote:

    > > >Any suggestion is very welcome ...

    > > Why not using RSS feed instead of Newsletters ?

    > I use both ... not everybody uses RSS ... many people don't even know
    > RSS.
    >
    > But email is much more common ...

    Hello,

    I just posted the last version of my newsletter:
    http://www.bonsalunos.pt/Newsletter.htm

    Does anyone has any suggestion that would improve my HTML markup?

    Thanks,
    Miguel

    shapper, Mar 17, 2009
  14. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed shapper <> writing
    in news::

    > Hello,
    >
    > I just posted the last version of my newsletter:
    > http://www.bonsalunos.pt/Newsletter.htm
    >
    > Does anyone has any suggestion that would improve my HTML markup?

    I still think that black background is a bad idea. The title elements are
    a dark green (?) and there just is not enough contrast. How about a light
    background, perhaps white, or old lace?

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 17, 2009
  15. On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 04:28:38 -0700 (PDT), shapper <>
    wrote:

    >On Mar 17, 1:26 am, shapper <> wrote:
    >> On Mar 17, 12:19 am, (Raymond Schmit)
    >> wrote:

    >> > Why not using RSS feed instead of Newsletters ?

    >> I use both ... not everybody uses RSS ... many people don't even know
    >> RSS.
    >>
    >> But email is much more common ...

    >Hello,
    >
    >I just posted the last version of my newsletter:
    >http://www.bonsalunos.pt/Newsletter.htm
    >
    >Does anyone has any suggestion that would improve my HTML markup?

    http://metalinkltd.com/?p=91
    says:
    - Green on yellow is the best color scheme in the most conditions ...

    Raymond Schmit, Mar 17, 2009
  16. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    (Raymond Schmit) wrote:

    > Green on yellow is the best color scheme in the most conditions ...

    If you don't mind chundering while you read... <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 17, 2009
  17. On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:36:38 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >
    >> Green on yellow is the best color scheme in the most conditions ...

    >If you don't mind chundering while you read... <g>

    Personnaly, i prefer blue on light-grey.

    Raymond Schmit, Mar 18, 2009
  18. shapper

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    (Raymond Schmit) wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:36:38 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Green on yellow is the best color scheme in the most conditions ...

    > >If you don't mind chundering while you read... <g>

    > Personnaly, i prefer blue on light-grey.

    You prefer that when you chunder?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 19, 2009
  19. shapper

    rf Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:36:38 +1100, dorayme
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> If you don't mind chundering while you read... <g>

    >> Personnaly, i prefer blue on light-grey.

    > You prefer that when you chunder?

    Orange. Got to be orange. It's the carrots.

    rf, Mar 19, 2009
  20. On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:35:22 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:36:38 +1100, dorayme
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >If you don't mind chundering while you read... <g>

    >> Personnaly, i prefer blue on light-grey.

    >You prefer that when you chunder?

    It's your choice if you prefer to have unreadeable text like dark-red
    on black - or dark-grey on black ...

    Raymond Schmit, Mar 19, 2009