CreateFolder across network

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jessard, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. Jessard

    Jessard Guest

    Hi all,

    This seems like a really simple question but I don't think there is a simple
    answer. If there is I'd be glad to hear it. I am trying to create a folder,
    yep, that's all. I can do it with a vbscript but as soon as I put it in an
    asp page and load the page I get an error 500 message. Basically, I am
    using...

    if (not fso.FolderExists("\\ServerName\Clients\c_" &
    request.Querystring(i))) then
    fso.CreateFolder("\\ServerName\Clients\c" & request.Querystring(i))
    end if

    Don't worry about the request.Querystring(i) - it's valid. The script fails
    on the fso.CreateFolder line so it gets in the if.

    If I change the path to a local server folder then the script works. It has
    something to do with the permissions at the server I am placing the folder
    at. I check the parent folder permissions where I want to create a new
    folder under. It has "Everyone" full access - all boxes ticked. Both
    computers, the webserver and the server where the folder is to be created are
    on the same domain and can be manually sought out, and a folder created, via
    my network places. I am told I need the IUSR account of my webserver added
    to the parent folder permissions on the other machine. Is this right?

    Can somebody work me through what I can do here?

    Thanks,
    Jesse
    Jessard, Dec 20, 2004

  2. Jessard

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:01:02 -0800, "Jessard"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >This seems like a really simple question but I don't think there is a simple
    >answer. If there is I'd be glad to hear it. I am trying to create a folder,
    >yep, that's all. I can do it with a vbscript but as soon as I put it in an
    >asp page and load the page I get an error 500 message.

    First, the 500 error:

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109

    As for why it works in VBScript and not ASP:

    In VBScript you're running as the logged in user. In ASP you're
    running as whatever user is defined for ASP access, often the
    anonymous user. The permissions for one aren't the same as the other.

    >If I change the path to a local server folder then the script works. It has
    >something to do with the permissions at the server I am placing the folder
    >at. I check the parent folder permissions where I want to create a new
    >folder under. It has "Everyone" full access - all boxes ticked.

    Lesson 3: "Everyone" is a group, not "every account on the system".
    Just because the group "Everyone" has access deosn't mean a user has
    access. The account has to be in the "everyone" group, and by
    default, the IIS anonymous user isn't (for security reasons).

    >Both
    >computers, the webserver and the server where the folder is to be created are
    >on the same domain and can be manually sought out, and a folder created, via
    >my network places.

    Lesson 4: The Anonymous user is local account, not a domain account.
    Domain permissions are meaningless unless you configure the account to
    be a domain account (not recommended) or sepcifically grant it access
    on the destination system.

    >I am told I need the IUSR account of my webserver added
    >to the parent folder permissions on the other machine. Is this right?

    No. The account trying to create the folder, most likely the
    anonymous account, needs the permission to create a folder on the
    destination system in the destination folder. Subtle, but there's a
    difference.

    >Can somebody work me through what I can do here?

    Give the IUSR account from the IIS system at least MODIFY permission
    on the destnation server's folder.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Dec 20, 2004

  3. Jessard

    Jessard Guest

    Thanks Jeff and Curt,

    So I goto the folder on the destination machine, security. I click add but
    I cannot see the IUSR account of the webserver machine. Firstly, is this
    what you meant? If so, what needs to be done to make it visible?

    Jesse

    Jessard, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Jessard

    Jessard Guest

    IUSR_MUFFET (where muffet is the name of the webserver)

    Jessard, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Jessard

    Jessard Guest

    So on the webserver or the destination folder machine?

    Jessard, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Jessard

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:27:04 -0800, "Jessard"
    <> wrote:

    >So on the webserver or the destination folder machine?

    Destination. The problem is since it's a local account you can't just
    add the account, you need to specify the system as well. I don't
    remember your exact setup but it's often easiest to create a local
    group and add the account to it.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Dec 22, 2004
  7. Jessard

    Jessard Guest

    Ok, I went to the destination machine and added a group called muffetusr.
    However, when I goto add a member to this group I am not able to find through
    any of the drop-down lists the iusr_muffet account.

    Jessard, Dec 22, 2004
  8. Jessard

    Jessard Guest

    Ok Curt,

    Thanks for you help. Appreciate the time.

    Jessard, Dec 24, 2004