CreateFolder FileSystemObject hangs

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Bren, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. Bren

    Bren Guest

    In the code below I'm trying to create a directory. It works on the
    production server, but it doesn't on my dev server; I'm running XP Pro, but
    I don't belong to a domain; I'm running it in a workgroup instead. I've
    enabled the write option in IIS on the directory.

    Because I'm not in a domain, there's no security tab on the property dialog
    for the folder in Windows Explorer, so I can't assign IUSR access right
    there. Do you have any suggestions to give access rights?

    Maybe the failure on my machine is not access rights, but something else,
    because on the production server, before I was granted permission, I got an
    access rights denied browser error message, but on my machine, there was no
    error message; the browser just hangs on the CreateFolder command.

    Thanks for any help you can offer.

    Bren

    sPath = Server.MapPath("\") & "\app\test"
    If not(fso.FolderExists(sPath)) Then
    Set f = fso.CreateFolder(sPath)
    Response.write(f.Path)
    end if

    Bren, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Hi Bren,

    Check out http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2180.

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 12, 2004

  3. Bren

    Bren Guest

    Ray,

    Thanks for your reply to my posting.

    I did have Norton Anti Virus Script Blocking turned on.

    Turning it off, I now get the "Access Denied" error message.

    so, the next step is for me to figure out how to allow write permissions to
    the app.

    thanks, Bren

    message news:...

    Bren, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Make sure that IUSR_computername, assuming a default configuration, has NTFS
    permissions to create a directory in the location you're trying to create
    it.

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 12, 2004
  5. Bren

    Bren Guest

    Thanks again Ray.

    For me, the solution to the permission problem was to open the property
    dialog of the directory into which the app page would be creating
    directories, on the sharing tab, share the directory and "allow network
    users to change my files"

    This enables the IUSR account, which is a member of Guests by default, to
    write to the directory and create folders.

    message news:eBFaB$...

    Bren, Oct 12, 2004